Chapter 13

Zayden was shattered. He didn't think Hafsah was going to reject him. He admitted to have hurt her badly but everyone deserved a second chance. Why didn't he get a second chance at love? Karma really was a bitch. She didn't spare anyone because she kept receipts. Zayden was paying for all the wrong he had done in the past and he wasn't finding it funny.

     Hafsah packed her stuff to go home for the break. Sameerah left earlier because she had a flight to catch with her family. They were going to Paris for the break. Haneed offered to pick Hafsah up and she didn't decline. She would rather sit in a comfortable air conditioned car than sit in an uncomfortable rickety bus.

     "Hello? I'm outside your apartment." Haneed said. "Alright, I'll be out in a moment." Hafsah replied and hung up.

     She pulled her luggage outside and dumped it in the trunk of Haneed's car.

     "Hey!" she greeted, smiling at him. "Hey." he smiled back.

     "Hafsah wait!" Another voice stopped her. She knew that voice too well. The same voice that made her fall in love and the same voice that broke her, that shattered her. She turned around to face him. He was looking disheveled with bags under his eyes, like he hadn't slept in a while.

     "Zayden." she whispered, reaching out to touch him but retracted her fingers.

     "Who is he?" Haneed asked. "He's Zayden." she replied.

     "What are you doing here Zayden?" she asked, turning to face him.

     "Please Hafsah, I'm really sorry." he replied.

     "What is he talking about?" Haneed asked.

     "Look Haneed, let's just go." she said, ignoring his question. Haneed looked between them and knew something was up but decided to stay out of it. He helped Hafsah into the car and got in, zooming off.

     Zayden stood there dejected. He wasn't going to give up on her, even though he had to go to her house. He got into his car and drove back to his apartment, burying his pain in alcohol and cigarettes.

     "So, who's Zayden?" Haneed asked as they pulled up to the highway.

     "My ex boyfriend." she replied, looking out of the window.

     "Why? What happened between you two?" he asked.

     "He broke up with me and all of a sudden, he wants me back." she said, sighing.

     "Do you still love him?" Haneed asked, glancing at her through the side of his eyes.

     "I don't. He has hurt me too much for me to still be in love with him." Hafsah shook her head. "

     "Hmmm. Do you mind telling me what happened?" he asked, unsure if it was a good idea to pry into her personal life.

     "Well, I don't mind." Hafsah said, smiling sadly.

     "I was walking through the social centre one day when I saw him bullying a fresher. I told him it was wrong and he definitely didn't take it well. He cornered me on my way to class and threatened me. I stood up to him and made him understand he was living under a false impression and he was a coward." she sighed.

     "After that day, he followed me around trying to get me to forgive him. I didn't listen and then he asked me to coffee. I told him I'll only have coffee with him if he opens a coffee stall in front of my apartment. He did and I realized he wasn't all that bad. Some weeks later he sent me flowers and a love letter, and asked me to be his girlfriend. I agreed and everything was going well. Well, until we went home for the break and he slept with another girl." Hafsah said. Haneed nodded, grasping the steering harder and glaring straight ahead.

     "I didn't know he cheated until the night of our anniversary. Everything was so sweet at first until he took me to his bedroom because he wanted to sleep with me. I refused because I wasn't ready for all that. I wanted my first time to be with someone special, someone who truly loved me. He made me feel worthless and told me how he was sleeping with Zeena, his friend with benefits. He told me, and I quote: 'fuck me or fuck off'." Hafsah said, tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

     "That bastard!" Haneed gritted, bringing the car to an abrupt halt in the middle of the road.

     "What are you doing Haneed?" Hafsah asked, her eyes widening in fear. Cars honked and yelled profanities at them.

     "We're going back to Zaria." he said, rather calmly.

     "What? Why?" Hafsah asked. "I need to have a word with Zayden." he replied, driving towards a U-turn.

     "No Haneed, we're going home." Hafsah told him.

     "Hafsah." he sighed. "It's okay Haneed, we aren't going back to Zaria. Everything's in the past." she said, touching his arm lightly to calm him down.

     "But-" he started. "It's okay Haneed." he nodded and fixed his eyes on the road.

     When they got to Kaduna, he stopped over at Midway to get pizza. "Yay! Pizza." Hafsah beamed.

     "What toppings do you want? Or do you want to go in with me?" Haneed asked her.

     "I'll go in with you." Hafsah said and alighted the car. They walked in together, laughing at something Haneed said. If you didn't know better, you'd think they were in a relationship.

     They walked to the counter to place their order. "I want chicken feast." she told Haneed.

     "A large chicken feast please, and two large cups of ice cream." The waiter took down the order and disappeared into the kitchen.

     Hafsah and Haneed sat down at a table for two secluded at the back of the pizza place. Ten minutes after, their pizza and ice creams arrived.

     Hafsah immediately took a large scoop out of her ice cream and moaned in delight.

     "Damn girl, how big is your mouth?" Haneed laughed. "Big enough to fit in all the slices of pizza in the box." Hafsah replied, taking a huge bite out of the pizza.

     They laughed as they ate and when they were done, he drove her back home. "Thanks for the ride Haneed." Hafsah said, collecting her luggage from the trunk.

     "Get used to me driving you around." Haneed smiled. Hafsah chuckled and dragged her luggage to the gate. Haneed didn't drive away, he sat there watching her with amusement in his eyes.

     "Why are you still here?" Hafsah asked, raising a brow. "Waiting for you to invite me in." he smirked. She smiled at him. "Well then, come in."