Chapter 15

"Where's Zayden?" Hafsah panicked, asking the receptionist.

     "He's at the ICU, please calm down." The receptionist replied.

     "Calm down? Calm down you say? His life is in danger and you're asking me to calm down?" Hafsah yelled at the nurse.

     "Please lower your voice, this is a hospital." The receptionist tried to calm her down. Hafsah glared at her and ran towards the east wing, looking for the ICU. She saw a door with ICU boldly written on it and rushed inside.

     "Who are you? Please you need to leave, you can't be in here." The doctor said.

     "I can be in here if you can. Please doctor, let me see Zayden." Hafsah pleaded, tears streaming down her face.

     "You can't see him now." The doctor replied.

     "Please, I promise not to say or do anything. I just want to hold his hands." Hafsah begged. The doctor sighed and said. "He's in a coma."

     Hafsah rushed to where he laid and burst out into more tears. Several tubes were connected to his body and an oxygen mask over his nose. "Zayden you have to wake up, please don't leave me. I'll die if you leave me. I didn't mean what I said. I love you Zayden, I love you. Please wake up, wake up for me. Do you remember you promised to always be with me? You can't break your promise now. If you don't wake up, I'll kill myself." Hafsah cried, pressing his chest as she did.

     "Please you have to calm down." The doctor said, trying to get her away from Zayden.

     "I can hear his heart beat doctor. He'll wake up sooner or later. Zayden! Wake up please. You can't leave me here alone. I thought you said you loved me, why don't you show me how much you love me? Wake up for the sake of the love we have." Hafsah cried. The machine began to beep. The doctor immediately injected a liquid into Zayden's body.

     "I told you doctor, he'll wake up. My Zayden will wake up soon." Hafsah said, holding his hands.

     "I don't know how long he'll be comatose." The doctor said. Hafsah smiled and hugged Zayden. "I knew you wouldn't leave me." The doctor excused himself and left Hafsah with him.

     Everyday, Hafsah visited Zayden at the hospital. At times she would bunk classes just to be with him. Zayden has been in coma for three weeks and the doctors have been doing their best to help him recover. It was Saturday and Hafsah went to visit Zayden as usual.

     "Zayden, I know you hurt me real bad but I forgive you. You're in this condition all because of me. If I hadn't shut the door on you, you would've been alright. I'm sorry Zayden." she whispered.

     He held her hand and opened his eyes slowly. "Hafsah." he said, removing the oxygen mask. Hafsah immediately fixed it back and told him to calm down. She pressed the call button beside the bed and some nurses came rushing in. They immediately injected him and removed the oxygen mask. He was out of danger.

     "Hafsah I'm so sorry." he said softly. "Shut up Zayden. Do you know how worried you made me? You've been laying here unconscious for three weeks. What were you thinking? That you can just die and leave me here alone? I love you Zayden. Please don't ever do this again." she replied and hugged him. "I love you too Hafsah. I'm so sorry, I promise never to hurt you again." He promised her and they ended up kissing in the hospital room. The doctor cleared his throat.

     "You need to get his drugs from the pharmacy." Hafsah nodded and bought the drugs, then came back.

     "When will he be discharged?" she asked the doctor.

     "In three days." he replied, writing something down in Zayden's file.

     "I can't wait to get out of here, can I take the drips home instead?" he asked the doctor.

     "Sure, I'll send a nurse along." The doctor replied.

     "I don't think he needs a nurse. I'll fix the drips and make sure he takes his drugs on time." Hafsah said.

     "Do you know how to?" The doctor asked. "Yeah, I took a one year nursing program in Canada before coming back to Nigeria for my college." she replied.

     She went ahead to tell the doctor everything she knew and he was impressed. "Do you mind interning with us when you're on holidays?" The doctor asked.

     "I'll be glad." she replied and helped Zayden out of the hospital.

     "Have you paid the bills?" he asked as they waited for a keke. "Yes I have." she replied.

     "Where did you get the money?" he asked her. "Haneed gave it to me." she answered, stopping a keke.

     "I need to see him." Zayden said. "It's fine. You don't have to see him." Hafsah said, giving the driver the address to Zayden's apartment.

     "But-" he started. "Shhh Zayden. He's in Kaduna at the moment and I don't think it's necessary for you to see him." she told him.

     "He paid my hospital bills." Zayden stated. "So? Anyone could pay your hospital bills." Hafsah frowned. She didn't want the both of them meeting because she wouldn't want a fight to break out because of her. She even lied to Haneed when he asked what she needed two hundred thousand for.

     The keke pulled up at Zayden's apartment and she helped him down. She paid the driver and took him inside. Later at night, the nurse would bring the drips home for him and Hafsah would fix them.

     "Lay down for a while, I want to prepare lunch. So what does my baby want?" she asked him. "All I want is you babe." he replied and pulled her to him, crashing his lips on hers.