Chapter 17

Hafsah slept at Zayden's house until he was better and it was Monday, the day she would find out what her parents want to desperately discuss with her. She took her bath and went to her apartment to change into clean clothes. All the while she was with Zayden, she wore his clothes and boy did she look hot in them.

"I'm leaving Sameerah." Hafsah yelled from the living room. "I would have escorted you but I'm so lazy to get up." Sameerah replied. "It's fine, bye." Hafsah said and took a keke to the main gate where she entered a bus to Kaduna.

When she got home, she was surprised to see her parents at home. Weren't they supposed to be at work? She thought to herself.

"Assalamu alaikum." she greeted. "Wa alaikum mu salam." they replied and gestured for her to sit. Hafsah looked at them expectantly, she didn't know what they would say. Could it be good or bad? She didn't know.

"Hafsah." her dad said. "Na'am(yes)." she replied.

"Your mother and I have thought about this very much and we think it's best for you. You're in your third year right? You have just a year left to finish college and we don't see anything wrong in getting you married now." he said.

"Married? To who?" Hafsah asked, trying not to freak out.

"Haneed, Alhaji Abdallah's son." her father replied.

"Haneed? Why would you want to get me married to Haneed?" she asked rather calmly.

"He asked for your hand, daughter, and we've accepted his proposal." he replied.

"Seriously dad? You didn't even think to ask me if I wanted to get married to him." she said, trying not to raise her voice because it would be disrespectful.

Her mum was quiet all this while, observing her daughter's reaction. "Don't you like him?" her father asked, ignoring her previous statement.

"I like him, father. He's nice and a good guy, that I know but don't you think I should decide when and who I want to get married to?" Hafsah asked him.

"You know I only want the best for you Hafsah. When you get married to Haneed, we can run a partnership business with them." he replied.

"Can I think about it?" she asked her father calmly.

"Sure, you have all the time to think. Just give me your answer when we're having dinner." she nodded and left to her room.

She paced back and forth thinking about what her father just told her. He couldn't just get her married without her consent. Zayden. How could she leave Zayden now? He would be broken and shattered. Just then, her mum entered the room. "Hafsah sit."

Hafsah sat beside her and looked at her. "Do you want to get married to Haneed?" she asked Hafsah.

"Mum I don't know. I'll get married to him if you give me five good reasons why I should. I know you only want what's best for me and whatever I do will be only for your happiness." Hafsah replied.

"Well he's a good guy, that's one. He's very pious and down to earth, he doesn't look down on people. He's everything I want in a son in-law and come to think of it, you'll live a good life if you get married to him. He'll take good care of you, that I can assure you." Hafsah took in everything she said and nodded. Her mother had a point but Zayden could also pass for some of her reasons. Aside from being an arrogant jerk, he smoked and did all those unholy things. But that didn't mean she didn't love him, she loved him.

"I'll get married to Haneed." she replied. Her mums eyes lit with joy. "Good! I'll go tell your father the good news." She stood up and left.

Hafsah agreed to the marriage just to make her parents happy. They raised her and made sure she never lacked anything. They gave her everything she ever wanted and she couldn't be selfish and get married to Zayden instead. She couldn't repay all the love and care her parents had showered her with and if getting married to Haneed was going to make them happy, she'd get married to him.

All through the day, she just laid in her room thinking about how she was going to tell Zayden she was getting married to Haneed. Before they broke up, he already suspected she was having an affair with Haneed and now to tell him she was getting married to him? She just couldn't.

It was time for dinner and she went downstairs to meet her family. "Good evening dad, mum." she greeted them. They smiled at her and told her to sit. Aisha served the food and went back into the kitchen.

"So have you made your decision yet?" her father asked.

"Yes father, I'll get married to Haneed." Hafsah replied.

"You're getting married to uncle Haneed? Yay, more ice cream." Ihsan beamed.

"More ice cream?" her mum asked, confused.

"Yes, uncle Haneed bought ice cream for us one day at my school and Hafsah gave him chocolates and they were talking about something and laughing together." Ihsan said. They looked at Hafsah and she looked away, blushing furiously.

"So you and Haneed huh?" her mum teased. "Mum!" Hafsah groaned. "Sorry sorry, eat up." her mum laughed.

After dinner, Hafsah retired to her room. She said her prayers and texted Zayden to get well soon. Just as she dropped her phone on the nightstand, it rang. She looked at the caller ID to see that Haneed was calling. She didn't know what to say to him so she just ignored the call and put her phone on silent, then she went to sleep.