Chapter 9

Ever since Haneed dropped Hafsah off, Zayden had been acting strangely with Hafsah. He wouldn't call her as often as he used to but he still did call her at times and they didn't hang out as much. It was officially their first anniversary since they met each other and Zayden had something planned for them. He invited her to his apartment and even bought a nice dress for her to wear. Nothing too skimpy and nothing too revealing either.

     It was 6:00pm and Hafsah was ready to go. She hugged Sameerah and went outside to meet Zayden. He stood outside in all his handsome glory and when Hafsah came out, he kissed her hand and opened the door for her. What a gentleman, Hafsah thought. "So what did you plan for us?" Hafsah asked. "Surprise." he replied and pulled out of her street.

     When they got to his place, he helped her out of the car and led her inside with his palm over her eyes. He opened the door and removed his palm from her eyes.

     "Why's it so dark in here?" Hafsah asked, trying to make out what was in there. Zayden switched on a dim red light and the light illuminated the living room.

     "Wow!" Was all Hafsah said. She walked through the red and white heart-shaped balloons that were scattered around the floor towards the centre of the living room where a table was set. Zayden walked in front of her and gave her a rose. She smiled and tucked it into her hair.

     "This is beautiful! I love it." Hafsah said softly. "And I love you." Zayden said, helping her onto a chair.

     He sat down opposite her and lit the candles on the heart-shaped cake. "Many times we argue in our relationship. Now I may have a hundred reasons to fight with you but always remember that I have a thousand reasons to love you. It doesn't matter whether this is our first anniversary, what matters is that I will always love you. This anniversary reminds us of the mistakes we made in the past, brings us the moments that we are making together in the present and the happiness that we plan to share in the future. Happy anniversary, love." Zayden said and they blew the candles. He cut a slice and fed it to Hafsah who did the same.

     "Happy anniversary baby. I could never ask for a better boyfriend than you Zayden. What if you hadn't made fun of that fresher? We probably would never have met. I thank God for bringing you into my life. I love you too, Zayden." Hafsah said.

     Zayden stood up and asked Hafsah to dance. He pressed play on an mp3 player and a slow love song started to play. He held her waist as they moved slowly to the beat, her hand resting on his shoulder.

     *I can't imagine my life without you Hafsah." he whispered, spinning her around and drawing her back to him. She looked into his eyes as they danced and couldn't stop thinking of how lucky she was to have him.

     They finished dancing and sat down to eat a little before he took her into his room to see what else he had for her.

     "Zay-" she started, not finding the words to speak. "Shhh." he shushed her, leading her to the bed and helping her sit.

     "You didn't have to do all this Zayden." she said nervously. He sat down beside her and grazed her cheek lightly, leaning in to kiss her.

     "Zayden stop." she said, turning her face so that his lips landed on her cheek.

     "Why? Don't you love me?" Zayden asked, trying to kiss her again.

     "I- I do." she stuttered. "Then let me kiss you Hafsah. I've waited a whole year for this." he said, tilting her face to kiss her.

     This time, she didn't move away. She closed her eyes and allowed him to kiss her. She expected her first kiss to be special and thought she would feel those butterflies in her belly but no, she was scared. All she felt was fear.

     Her senses came back when she felt his hands going up to her breasts.

     "Wh- what are you doing Zayden?" she asked, pushing him away.

     "For fucks sake Hafsah can you just chill and let me do what I want to do to you?" he asked angrily.

     Hafsah got up from the bed and moved away from him. "I'm not ready for all this Zayden." she said, her voice breaking.

     "You're not ready? Of course I should have known. What was I expecting from a boring niqabi like you? Nothing! You aren't even my type in the first place. All you care about is school school school. Parties? No. Sex? No. Then what the fuck do you have to offer? Do you want to know where I was the day you called me six times? I was fucking another girl Hafsah. Something you couldn't do. You know what? I'm breaking up with you if you don't fuck me. It's either you fuck me or fuck off."

     Slap! Hafsah slapped him hard on the face and ran out of the apartment. She was broken and shattered. Zayden didn't love her at all, he only wanted the sex. She walked as fast as her legs could carry her, crying as she walked. She didn't even know where she was going so she sat down at the front of someone's gate. She dialled Sameerah's number and asked her to come there immediately. Ten minutes after, Sameerah arrived in a keke.

     "What's wrong Hafsah?" Sameerah asked, pulling her into a hug. Hafsah gasped, trying to calm her self down and breathe. "Let's go home." Sameerah said, helping her into the keke. When they got home, Sameerah paid the man and took Hafsah inside.

     "Calm down and tell me what happened." Sameerah consoled her. Hafsah forced herself to stop crying and narrated everything to her.

     "That bastard!" Sameerah gritted angrily.

     "I thought he loved me." Hafsah cried into her chest.

     "Stop crying Hafsah, that boy isn't worth your tears." Sameerah told her and spent the rest of the night consoling her.