Chapter 10

Hafsah didn't sleep at all because all she did was cry. Sameerah did all she could to get her to stop crying but she couldn't.

"Hafsah I can imagine how you feel right now. Please stop crying." Sameerah told her.

"How can I stop crying Sameerah? I have wasted a year of my life with Zayden. He never truly loved me Sameerah." Hafsah cried.

"Please Hafsah stop crying, we have a test today and we can't miss it. Don't cry, you'll be fine." Sameerah said, soothing her back. Hafsah sniffed and nodded. Her eyes were red and puffy and she looked like something out of a horror movie.

Sameerah helped her to the bathroom and left her to shower while she made breakfast for them. When Hafsah was done bathing, Sameerah took her bath too and joined her in the living room.

"Wait, I'll get us food." Sameerah said and brought a plate of fries and two mugs of coffee. Hafsah shook her head but Sameerah forced her to eat anyway. She was looking better now even though her eyes were still puffy.

At noon, they got ready to go to school for their test. "I don't think I can write this test Sameerah." Hafsah sighed.

"Trust in Allah Hafsah. He sees your heart and He knows you studied really hard for this test. None of what happened was your fault." Sameerah encouraged her. Hafsah nodded and they left for school. When they got to the CBT centre, Sameerah spoke to one of the invigilators and he allowed them in when he saw the condition Hafsah was in.

"Thank you very much sir." Sameerah thanked him and helped Hafsah inside. Soon after, they were done with their test.

"How was it?" Sameerah asked when they left the hall. "Alhamdulillah." Hafsah sighed.

Sameerah gave her a small smile and told her to buy lunch before going home. They went to Pepsi Garden since it wouldn't be as crowded as Frizzlers.

"Do you want to eat here or you want take out?" The lady asked. "Please pack two take outs for us." Sameerah answered and they sat down to wait for their food.

Just then, Zayden walked in with his hand around a girl's waist who giggled loudly. Hafsah's heart sank as she saw them together. Were his feelings for her so superficial that he moved on immediately after they broke up? Tears threatened to spill from her eyes but she held them in. She didn't want to give Zayden the satisfaction of seeing her cry. She didn't want him to think she was weak.

Zayden looked at her, as if searching her face for answers. Hafsah didn't look away, instead she looked right back at him. He tore his gaze from her when the girl he was with pulled him towards the food counter. The lady from earlier came with their food and Sameerah paid, then left with Hafsah.

"You see? You could stand seeing him with another girl without breaking down." Sameerah told her.

"I didn't want him to see me cry." Hafsah said, her voice breaking.

"Be strong. He's not worth your tears girl. I think you should move on already." Sameerah said, wiping a stray tear that fell from Hafsah's eye.

"Moving on seems harder to do when the one you love moves faster than you." Hafsah said softly.

They got into a keke and went home. Their first semester exams for their second year was up in two weeks. Hafsah reminisced how she had spent most of last semester's break with Zayden.

"I'm glad he's leaving soon. In a couple of months he'll be out of this school." Sameerah said. "True." Hafsah agreed.  They ate their food and watched The Fault In Our Stars while snacking on ice cream and pizza.

A moment later, a notification came in on Hafsah's phone. She checked and it was a message from Haneed.

Haneed: Hey Hafsah :)

Hafsah: Hey Haneed, what's up?

Haneed: Nothing much. I've been trying your phone but it wasn't going through. Are you okay?

Hafsah: I'm fine. My battery was low, that's the reason you couldn't get through to me.

Haneed: Ohh! Alright. I was thinking of visiting tomorrow. Are you free?

Hafsah: Actually, I'm not. I have my exams soon so I have to study hard.

Haneed: I get you have to study but you could at least spare me a minute, yeah?

Hafsah: I'm sorry Haneed, some other time.

Haneed: Okay. Hit me up if you need anything, I need to get back to work.

Hafsah: I will, thanks for checking up on me.

"Who are you chatting with?" Sameerah asked. "Oh! It's Haneed. He wanted visiting tomorrow but I said I wouldn't be free." Hafsah replied.

"Okay. I get you just got out of a relationship but it's obvious that guy likes you." Sameerah teased, trying to make her smile.

"Look Sameerah. I doubt I ever want to give anybody a chance again. All love ever does is break, burn and end." Hafsah sighed.

"So what if your last relationship didn't work out? Go out there and find love. If you don't find love, love will find you. And I think that person is Haneed." Sameerah said, a teasing glint at the end.

Hafsah chuckled and slapped her arm playfully. "It's back." Sameerah smiled. "What's back?" Hafsah asked scrunching up her nose. "Your smile." Sameerah said, pulling her into a hug. Hafsah smiled and took a slice of pizza. She could be hurt really bad but she didn't joke with pizza.