Chapter 20

"What?" Hafsah asked, her eyes widening at Zayden's suggestion.

     "Let's go far away and live happily ever after. You can get your passport and I'll book a flight to the states." he replied.

     "Are you listening to yourself Zayden? I can't do that to my parents." She shook her head.

     "Look Hafsah, life is giving us another chance at love. Let's go away Hafsah, I promise to take care of you." he said, taking her hands in his.

     "Z-Zayden, I can't. My wedding is in twenty eight days. Have you thought about the shame it'll bring to my family? We're talking about my family's reputation here. How will they face the society if I elope with you? They will never be able to show their faces in public." Hafsah told him.

     "Since when do you care about what the society says? My family's reputation is also at stake here Hafsah. My father is running for Governorship and don't you think eloping with you will spoil his name? But I don't care about all that right now. All I care about is you. Us." He tried to make her see reasons.

     "Are you listening to yourself? After all your parents did you want to repay them by ruining their reputation? I must say I'm highly disappointed in you Zayden." She shook her head. "Please, go your way and I'll go mine. I can't cancel my marriage with Haneed. Not now, not ever."

     "Why? Are you in love with Haneed?" he asked her.

     "What? I don't know. Don't ask me any stupid question Zayden. Please for the sake of our families, get married to your Zeena and I'll get married to Haneed." Hafsah replied.

     "Okay. I'll be leaving." Zayden said and got up. "Good luck getting married to Haneed." he added and banged the door behind him. Hafsah sighed and called Sameerah out.

     "Good thing you didn't agree to elope with him." Sameerah stated.

     "What? How did you know?" Hafsah asked.

     "My ear was plastered against the door the whole time. It took everything in me not to come out and slap his stupid beautiful face." Sameerah replied.

     "Oh my God Sameerah! Did you seriously have to eavesdrop?" Hafsah asked, shaking her head.

     "Obviously! Nothing is better than hearing the gist from the source." Sameerah winked and popped a gum in her mouth. Hafsah shook her head and collected a gum from Sameerah.

     "So when are we going home?" Sameerah asked.

     "In two days. You'll be staying at my place right?" Hafsah replied.

     "Of course you fool! My best friend is getting married to one of the hottest guys in the world duh! I wouldn't miss it for anything." Sameerah said excitedly. Hafsah smiled at her and they went inside to sleep.

     It was time for them to go home and Hafsah and Sameerah packed all of their stuff. Hafsah's father sent a driver to pick them up. He didn't want his daughter getting exhausted, her wedding was soon. The driver arrived and helped them to put their luggage in the trunk.

     "Thank you." Hafsah told him and got into the back seat with Sameerah.

     "Ba komai(no problem)." he replied and took off.

     Hafsah and Sameerah fell asleep the moment the driver took off and by the time they woke up, the driver was honking at the gate to their house. Ibrahim opened the gate and let them in.

     "Welcome home ma'am." Ibrahim greeted Hafsah.

     "Thank you uncle." she replied. Sameerah greeted him too and they walked inside, letting the driver and gateman bring their stuff.

     "Assalamu alaikum." they greeted. "Wa alaikum mu salam." Hafsah's parents replied.

     "Hafsah!" Ihsan squealed and jumped on her sister.

     "Baby, how are you?" Hafsah asked, handing her a box of chocolates.

     "I wasn't fine but now I'm fine." She beamed, stuffing a chocolate in her mouth. Sameerah smiled and hugged Ihsan.

     "How's your best friend?" she asked Ihsan.

     "She's fine. She'll be my sister soon because Hafsah is getting married to uncle Haneed." Ihsan said excitedly.

     "That's good." Sameerah replied.

     "You girls go freshen up upstairs, Aisha will set the table or she could bring your lunch up to your room." Hafsah's mum said. They nodded and went upstairs with Ihsan trailing behind them.

     "You can use my shower. I'll use the one in Ihsan's room." Hafsah said, stripping out of her clothes. 

     "Alright, you better come out of the bathroom in five minutes." Sameerah joked. "I'll try." Hafsah replied. She loved water a lot so she stayed in the bathroom for up to an hour at times.

     Thirty minutes after, Hafsah wasn't out. "Hafsah!" Sameerah called, banging on the bathroom door.

     "I'm drying my body." Hafsah replied.

     "Come out, we need to talk." Sameerah said. "Okay, I'm out." Hafsah replied and came out with a towel draped around her.

     "Took you long enough." Sameerah rolled her eyes and dragged her to her room.

     Hafsah put on a plain shirt and comfy shorts before plopping on her bed. Sameerah did the same and brought up what she wanted to talk about. "I was thinking...who's doing the henna?"

     "I don't know. I guess mum will find someone." Hafsah replied.

     "Well, what about your friend?" Sameerah asked.

     "Which of my friends?" Hafsah asked, scrunching up her face.

     "The room before yours in the hostel." Sameerah replied.

     "Oh Aminah! Why didn't I think of her? I'll tell mum immediately and give her a call." Hafsah said and rushed downstairs to tell her mum. Moments later, she was back up in her room.

     "So...what did she say?" Sameerah asked. "She said I can call her." Hafsah replied. "Cool. Then Aminah it is!"