Chapter Thirteen

Under some trees, Day 51 A.F

I awoke to a throbbing pain in my head, causing me to curl my knees to my chest, clenching my eyes shut. Blood pooled on my upper lip, streaming from my nose. I wasn't sure if I stayed awake the entire time, but it seemed as though the sun had moved far across the sky before I could lift my head off the soft fern that served as my pillow. Odd. I distinctly remembered using my hair. Perhaps I just hadn't noticed the plant.

I shuddered at my vivid dream. That red headed witch's cruel laugh rang in my ears with terrifying familiarity. I'd seen her before, if not in so much detail. She'd starred in a few of my more disturbing paintings before the Flood. But I'd never seen her talk to Matthew.

Absentmindedly, I wiped at my bloody nose, resting my red stained hand on the fern plant's soft leaves. They seemed to tremble under my touch with an awareness that pulled on my stomach. The leaf curled around my finger, the comforting pant growing larger before my eyes. Soon, the fern was twice the size it had been, delicately caressing my hand. Shocked, I remembered the enormous ivy plant that had grown in my bedroom before the Flood. I had a nosebleed that night too...

Connecting dots that didn't seem like they should be able to connect at all, I dabbed a bloody finger onto the blade of a nearby grass. The plant instantly trembled, stretching higher as if fueled by my blood. My lips parted in awe.

Curious, I willed the grass towards me. As if pulled by a string, the blades leaned forward like they were searching for the sun.

I wanted to experiment more, but I remembered that I needed to relieve Tybira of her watch duties so that she could sleep.

I glanced over my shoulder, but Tybira was missing. Warding off the initial chill of panic, I leapt to my feet, spinning frantic circles. No sign of her.

I was alone.

I'd never been truly alone at any point I could recall. I'd always had a friend or relative within shouting distance. But now? All my friends and relatives were gone.

Nervous, I peered at my surroundings. It seemed to be midday, the sky a cloudless blue. That did nothing for my worry. I didn't know this territory, but I did know that if animals survived the Flood, they'd be desperate for whatever fresh meat they could find.

A distant chorus of wolf howls sent shivers down my spine.

So some predators had survived the Flood.

I wasn't afraid of wolves. From time to time I'd hear them from my bedroom before the Flood. They didn't cause any harm other than stealing the occasional sheep or goat. But now, with food scarce, a pack of wolves might decide human flesh would be an appropriate meal.

The fern and grasses leaned towards me, brushing green against my skin. They tickled me, comforting me. Even the oak tree at my side seemed to stiffen, as if preparing to strike.

As the howls grew louder I leaned against the tree, foolishly praying that the bark would conceal me. As my fingers pressed against the rough bark I felt power radiate through me, sensing the life of the tree, ancient and magnificent. The wood thrummed with an awareness that flowed through my being, warming and comforting me.

The entire tree twitched as another howl pierced the air, sounding just behind the trunk. I didn't want to peer beyond my oak, staring into the predator's eyes. I could feel my tree shift, the wood groaning to life.