Chapter Forty-Four

Basically The Shoreline of Hades, Day 138 A.F

The ship was far larger than I remembered, looming from the sea like a mountain. While the Atlantian crafting was breathtaking, Aphrodisia was made all the more terrifying by the knowledge of what dwelled inside, likely awaiting our attack, expecting it.

I doubted Matthew bothered to block our Calls before he disappeared. The Lovers' -We will love you. In our own way- rang at a deafening volume, leading me to believe they could hear the five of us, just as acutely.

Matthew had abandoned us, without even offering us the luxury of surprise. Although I was angry, I could hardly say I was shocked by his deserting. In his own way he'd told me, almost saying goodbye. But betrayal still stung whenever I wondered where he'd gone.

"They'll know we're coming, but Enki's cloaking will still keep us hidden," Gabriel said. "They'll keep waiting for an attack that will never come. As least as far as they're concerned. Are we ready?"

I glanced towards Enki. He'd been silent since morning, not even responding to Tybira's jeers. He only nodded at the Archangel, and returned his unfocused gaze to the ship.

"The wolves are ready," Tybira informed, patting Romulus's shaggy head. "And I'll do whatever I can with the bow."

"Claws ready." I glanced at my ten deadly thorns. They were all I'd get to work with; I didn't trust my control with my spores, and Aphrodisia was docked far from any useful plants."

"Then let's get my ship back," Cyp growled, eyeing the vessel with a desperate possessiveness and devotion. He wasn't in this for Gabriel, or even for me, but to honor the Atlantian fishing boat that towered above the waves.

"I'm coming for you, Lotan. Hold on," Gabriel breathed, flaring his wings. "Let's go."

We knew the plan. We knew the risks. We knew the necessity of taking the ship. That didn't change the rock growing in my stomach with every step towards Aphrodisia. Could we really succeed? Could we all make it off the boat alive, with Lotan in tow? Was I truly just a fool to risk so much for Gabriel?

"Hide us, Velos." Cyprian drew his sword, glaring at the entrance, mere steps from us.

Enki swallowed, closing his eyes. When he opened them, that glint of magic twinkled. He smiled, lips moving in a noiseless chant. For several moments we waited, expecting something breathtaking to happen. Nothing did. Sweat beaded off Enki's forehead, but he never slowed his chanting.

"He can't do it," Cyp hissed.

Tybira shook her head. "He promised me he could."

The Magician's brow furrowed, chant loudening until I could make out words in a language I'd never heard. Finally he stopped, panting. "There."

I looked down, my knees nearly giving out. Beneath my eyes was only ground. No legs. No body. I turned to my companions, but they too were invisible. When I looked back to Enki, he'd vanished as well. "Amazing, Enki. Freaky, but amazing."

"Yes, but let's go before he loses his hold on it," Gabriel's voice advised.

What was scarier than entering Aphrodisia, was the feeling of entering it completely alone. Constantly I needed to remind myself that my allies were with me, walking in at my sides.

"Flower?" whispered Cyp's voice. "Where are you?"

"Here." I felt him shifting, brushing up against me until he found my hand, squeezing it. While I couldn't see him, I knew the heat of his palms, the callouses of his thumbs as they tickled the back of my hand. While it did little to calm my racing heart, it grounded me, a tether holding me through the disorientation of Enki's illusion.