Chapter Thirty-Two

Traveling, Day 111 A.F

Mother had to dismiss another medic. With funds so tight, we'd already been going hungry in order to afford Lalita's treatment. But as winter set in, the price for even the lowest quality produce went up. If we wanted to eat at all, our efforts to aid Lita had to cease.

"That's the fourth one to go," I muttered, eyeing Paltic beside me on the sofa. "Mother dismisses them whenever they become too expensive, always finding someone of a lower quality. I think that's the last one she'll get, at least until the next growing period." Father hadn't been willing to fork together the funds for Lita's care, but now that he was gone Mother scraped aside every coin she could.

Mia chewed her lip, eyes flashing with concern. She sat on the floor, looking up at Paltic and I. "She hasn't gotten any better?"

I shook my head in dismay. "It's been seven years. I doubt anything Mother can do will make a difference."

Turka snorted. "She trying to make up for destroying her own daughter by starving her other? Have you been eating anything, Ayesh?"

"Yeah, Ayesh," Paltic fretted, scanning me up and down. "It looks like you've lost weight."

"Not good for bearing sons when the time comes," Mia added, marriage always on her mind.       

"We eat plenty," I lied, recalling the three mouthfuls of coarse bread I'd savoured for breakfast. When our funds had first dried, my stomach snarled with hunger. Now, I hardly felt the pains, distracting myself with painting, nourishing myself on the hope that one day I could sit at the kitchen table with Lalita chattering at my side. If I was truly starving, it was from dwindling hope, not from lacking food.

"Uh huh," Turka muttered, rolling her eyes. "Have you just met us? We know you better than that, Ayesha."

"It's fine," I insisted, searching for an opportunity to change the subject. "Palt, are you excited for your wedding?" She'd be wed to a butcher named Jakai in a fortnight, the first of my friends to give herself to a man. Jakai was older, but he was supposedly a wonderful match for my best friend.                                          
"Very," Paltic agreed, narrowing her eyes, warning me that while she was allowing me to escape the attention, she hadn't forgotten her worry for me. "Mother and Father are running themselves ragged getting everything ready."

"Jakai isn't helping?" Mia frowned.

"Of course he isn't." Turka snorted. "What do you expect?"

Mia pursed her lips. "Nothing else, I guess. Hey, Ayesha?" She turned to face me.  

"Yeah?" I didn't really understand Mia's disappointment. It wasn't unheard of for the groom to plan the wedding, but extremely rare. I doubted any of us would be pursued by one of the few men  willing to make the arrangements.

"I need to get home soon, but do you think next time Rilda can come over?" Mia asked, getting to her feet. "She keeps asking to accompany me."

My house was our typical meeting place since Father died. We liked the privacy, and never had to worry about Mother disturbing us. I'd met Mia's little sister a few times before, but didn't have much of an opinion of the girl. "How old is she again?"

"Twelve," Mia answered. "Only a year younger than me."

I nodded. Paltic and I were the oldest of the group, so, for a reason I'd never figured out, decisions often fell to us. "I don't see why not."