Chapter 5

The next day, the results were great. Seeing Asher's face was priceless. With one third of his army gone, mine became stronger.

Everything was going great, until last period, in history which was my favorite subject. It turned my day upside down. My teacher, Mr Sean gave us a group project and he was the one choosing our partners, and of course just my luck I had Asher. I walking up to Mr Sean with a very obviously fake smile on my face. I asked him as nice as possible while I trying to keep my anger at bay, "Mr Sean, may I change partners? Please? Anyone else is fine."

He sincerely apologized, "I'm so sorry Laura, it's your mother-principal's order."

What? My mom? Why would she want Asher and I to partner up? I'm going to ask her later.

Mentally scowling but smiling on the outside, I walked back to my partner.

"So Laura, what should we do?" He asked me, with a mocking tone.

I gritted my teeth, biting back a comment. Our project was to write a report about life in 2018 for future historians, telling future generations how our life was like in 2018. A month later we would need to present in front of the class with PowerPoint or a video and we need to give Mr Sean a 20 page essay. We had only four lessons of class time to do it, the rest needed to be done after school.

If I messed this up, my reputation will be over. I need an A+, so I would need to tolerate him, but he need to work too, I will NOT do all the work and let him take the credits for nothing.

So I faced him and took a deep breathe, "Let's just try to finish this in class and cooperate so we don't need to meet after school."

"Why? Maybe I want to hang out with you after school." He said teasingly.

I glared at him, "No."

"Why." He whined loudly, making heads turned towards us. I ignored him.

We researched for the whole lesson, he  researched about social life while I researched about the environment and economy.

The lesson passed as smoothly as it could be, he kept on making little comments here and there, asking stupid questions just to annoy me.

My patience was as thin as a hair by the end of the lesson. Once the bell rang, I rushed out of class as quickly as possible and found Maya so we could walk home together.

"Maya, oh my god you wouldn't believe this but I need to do a fricking history project with Asher!" I complained to her.

"What? Oh my gods can this get anymore cliché," she laughed at my misery.

"Maya please come back to reality." I groaned at her.

"Okay okay, so what's the project about and what do you guys need to do? I just hope it's not the baby project." She giggled at the last part.

"What the hell! Ok never mind I'm going to ignore your last sentence." Then I explained to her about the project.

"That's not too hard!" She said brightly, "Although he was disturbing you, at least he did some work, so maybe you guys can work together and not have any problems!"

"Maybe, I hope so. I just hope everything will turn back to normal without all these war stuff." I grumbled.

"Lau, what if you are the only one that thinks there's a war going on, maybe he gave up?"

I thought for a moment, maybe I looked too much into the situation, but better safe than sorry.

I shrugged.

Once my mom arrived home I asked her, "Why did you partner me up with Asher?" With my hands on my hips.

She put down her briefcase and said simply, "Well, you may be able to help him."

"What?" I frowned, I did not understand what my mom just said.

"I'm not suppose to say this, promise me you won't tell anyone." She said sternly, looking at me. I nodded.

"He changed to our school because he had some... issues. And his parent knew our school is strict so they transferred him here." My mom explained.

"What issues?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Behavior."

"Like?"

"That's enough, you can ask him that yourself. He isn't any trouble right?" My mom asked suspiciously.

"No, no." I shook my head.

I finished my homework, ate dinner with my parents, read some books but I couldn't focus so I went to bed. I couldn't help but wonder about the mysterious Asher Hunt.

This is quite cliché but everyone loves clichés right? No? Oh ok... too bad this is kinda cliché. But soon it will not be anymore.