Chapter 15

"You did it..."

Ted slowly with exhausted steps got back on his feet, and I repeated, as if totally awestruck... amazed.

"You did it all..."

"Yes," my brother said back to me, a tired breath escaping his lips, "I did it all..."

"How- WHAT?!" I said, astonished and super elated. I ran over to Ted and picked him up, spinning him around before hugging him and saying, "You really are like Baby Jesus!"

"No." my brother said, panting from exhaustion of a world I couldn't even grasp he had been in, "I'm just a working class baby, trying to do his job."

"You have to tell Huge Boss Baby!" I said to Ted, looking at him in the eyes as I held him a little away from me so I could see his face properly, "You need to totally show him who's boss!"

"That's the thing, Tim..." my brother said back to me quietly, and gave a weak smirk. I became quiet as I saw the sadness in his eyes, "I was there... here... for a very long time... and I'm not him."

"Who?"

"Boss Baby... I'm Ted." he spoke back, tears in his eyes as to finally being back here with me, his family, "Theodore Lindsay Templeton. I don't ever want to stay a baby... not when there is a world, a place... a family... a future down there. And literally none up here."

He took a deep breath in, and touched his forehead in pain, as he uttered out quietly, "And I have to tell them."

I pulled a puzzled look to what he meant, "I have to tell them all..."

~x~

We walked back to the main hall, still filled with millions of crying babies, and my brother normally wouldn't stand out from the crowd... but I held him up in the air, a microphone from the inventory in his hand and he spoke into it, his deep voice reverberating around the room. All the babies, even the normal ones, looked at him surprised.

"Babies, both family and management. Listen."

Everyone watched him, and I could see Big Boss Baby in the crowds, seeming very upset as she watched Ted talk with a voice that held a deep wisdom in it now.

"Babies? Is this what you really want? To stay this way forever? Management babies... do you really just want to live in the sky, never facing reality... never facing a world of both beauty and adventure."

The management babies looked at him, all them silencing their questions as they watched my brother with worry in their eyes.

"Yes." Ted continued, being honest as he spoke into the microphone, "It is also a world of danger... of heart break. But at least down there you know you are actually alive! And not just existing!"

Big Boss Baby turned her eyes down to the ground, in pain at this truth. I saw her stare down to her hands... and all the pain and suffering she had caused.

How she was in pain herself... and was only now realizing how much she hurt.

"Tell me." Ted asked the babies, looking around at them as I held him above me, "How many of you have been tickled?"

The management babies looked at him saddened and he continued.

"How many of you have laughed without control!"

The family babies just giggled at his deep voice and Ted just smiled warmly and worn out, down to them.

"Life isn't this... life is living! DYING! Life is growing up the whole way!"

"YEAH!" I said in a cheer and the management babies looked at Ted, their eyes so worried as if they knew deep down, this is what they needed to hear.

"So tell me." Ted asked them, and looked around at all the conscious grown up eyes in bodies that had never lived in a world down below, "Who here has a tickle spot!"

"... I do..."

Everyone who could, turned their eyes away to the dark meek Giant Boss Baby, as she raised her little hand and stepped forward from the crowds.

Huge Boss Baby said to her in pain, "Giant Boss Baby?!"

"I DON'T want to be a BABY forever!" she cried, and looked at him, looked at all the babies that could see her, "I want... I want more... a mum... dad... I want to live..."

"No...!" he begged and she just walked through the crowds up to me and Ted.

"I have a tickle spot."

"I do too," another baby said nervously, coming forward.

"Me too." said one more. And moments later nearly all the babies were shouting this, begging to be giving to a family.

"You're all insane!" Huge Boss Baby said in panic, as all his workers began to leave him, and Francis Francis nodded his head in agreement.

"You're telling me! Who'd honestly want to go down there!"

"I do." Ted said, his voice so deep and serious and true, "I want to grow up... I want to know what's after this world... what's after being a kid... and what's after being an adult. I want to move on. I want to go onwards, not stay put."

"Well! Well!" Huge Boss Baby said, so disappointed in all his workers, "I DON'T!"

"ME NEITHER!" Francis Francis yelled, his cheeks turning red in fury and Ted just gave a small weak chuckle.

"That's good."

"It is?!" the two of them spat out astonished. My brother nodded his head tiredly.

"Yes... because we're going to need someone to keep this place working when we all leave. Or..." my brother continued, looking at them wisely and adding, "Someones..."

Francis Francis and Huge Boss Baby looked at each other, not knowing what to say and Francis Francis just reached his hand out, about to shake the ancient baby's one.

"What do you say? Boss?" He said, his voice nearly pleading to be taken back to Babycorp and working beside his hero, "Can I finally prove to you what I'm capable of?"

Huge Boss Baby looked into Francis's big eager but scared eyes. He then looked down to the outreached hand. He gave a roll of his eyes, swallowing his pride and shook it, saying with a firm smile.

"Yes, you can, partner."

"Partner?!"

"I should have never fired you."

Francis Francis was honestly speechless, he just placed his hand up to his mouth, holding back his gasp and tears of joy, but they still managed to find a way to slip down his chubby cheeks.

"Put me down, Tim..." Ted said, and I obeyed. I placed my brother down to the floor and I saw him look on at Big Boss Baby... the baby looking frightened and alone as if she didn't know her purpose anymore... her place in the world.

"Big Boss Baby..."

She looked at my brother, approaching him in a silent scared way, and said to him with tears.

"Ted... I..." her words were so broken, like she didn't know how to say this, how to get this out, "I don't want to forget."

My brother looked at her with a warm smile and said, his eyes kind and sincere, "I know... no one does..."

She began to cry, tears rolling down her cheeks and he just grasped her hand with his two, as he said in pure love.

"And you won't."