Prologue.

*25 Years Ago at the Ahmed Mansion*
The winds blew strongly against the walls as the branches hit the windows of the house. Creating a scene of great horror for the residents. The several servants rushed in and out of rooms to accommodate all the guests. For why would the not their Sahab (Sir) was getting married for the second time. Only moments before the natural calamity had struck the city of Islamabad , Khansa and Akram had signed their Nikkah papers and were joined in Holy matrimony. There were hushed whispers about what was to happen to Akram's first wife , Alishba.

Khansa had been the daughter of a close family friend who upon his death bed had given Khansa's hand to Akram and said
"Meri beti ko apnay Nikkah mein le lena. Warna yeh duniya usse tanay de de kar mar de gi".
(Take my daughter in your Nikkah or else this world will taunt her to death).

Not wanting to destroy a father's dying wish he had arranged for the wedding a fortnight after the death. Khansa had been an only child to a very rich business tycoon. This meant she inherited all that he had , like Akram's first wife Alishba.

Alishba had allowed the marriage to take place in hopes that she would receive some shares of the Ahmed trading and co. An up and coming trading company. Khansa was a wise woman and could detect the hate her mother -in- law had for her. And why would she not ? She had been the sole reason why his elder sons family was destroyed.

They failed to see that Khansa was kind and humble and just wanted protection of a man so that she could be saved from vulnerability in the society. Although it had been Khansa's first marriage there was no celebration. No meethai (a desi sweet) and no henna was applied. After all what reason would the Ahmed's find to celebrate this marriage? (Ahmed is the name of Akram's father).

She was nothing more than a liability one that had been forcefully shoved into their lives. Without whom they could survive. During the night , Akram approached the bedroom of his new bride and instead of comforting or showering her with love like he had done with Alishba. He only said a few sentences. Ones that tore her heart apart.
"Khansa you are nothing but a responsibility. The only bahu (daughter in law) of this house is Alishba. You have no place here. You will be treated well but do not expect our love or care. For you are not worth it."

When Akram exited the room , Khansa dropped to her feet and raised hand for dua. To her only confidant and friend. Her Lord. Her Allah. As she sobbed and gripped her bedlinen , the weather worsened and lightening struck the corner of the entire estate. Rain pelted with such ferociousness as if to show that even the angels and earth and all of Allah's creations were against the cruelty that had took place in the Ahmed household.

*3 months later*

Khansa and Akram's relationship had not progressed much. Even though they had consummated their marriage and occasionally Akram took Kahnsa to bed. Akram's family was the same. No one had kind word to say to her and mostly ignored her. Akram's younger brother had been married to Alishba's sister Hina.

For the past few days all three daughter in laws of the house had been feeling sick. And were taken to the hospital where it was discovered that all three were with child. It meant that Ikram would welcome his third child for he already had two sons Razi and Zakriya both who adored their Tayiammi (Wife of dad's older brother) Khansa. It had already been discovered that Khansa was three months while the other two were four moths pregnant.

Upon reaching their home every one danced with happiness except for Kahnsa , who had no one to share her joy with.

As time gradually went by Khansa grew weaker and weaker. She had no one to take care of her and all servants were busy serving the actual daughter in laws of the family. She became frail and when her baby bump began showing she could not share it with anyone. After all who would care.

Khansa knew that she did not have much time so invited over her fathers lawyer for a meeting. And told him "Junaid bhai. Mujhe lagta hai mera waqt khatam ho raha hai. Abu meray naam jo bhi chod gai hain meri will mein likh dein keh woh sab meray bachay / bachon ka hai. Aur kisi ka nahin"
(Junaid brother I think my time is ending please state in my will that whatever I inherited from my father is solely my child's or of my children. And nobody else has a right on it)

She also claimed that should only be told to the family when the child turned eighteen. Till then she handed over the affairs to Junaid.

*9 Months Later*

Alishba and Hina had both given birth to daughters. Which brought happiness in the household. After an almost year were the members smiling because of the two newest members. Mira and Laiba were already best friends while the unwanted bahu (daughter in law) cried with tears thinking who would take care of her child in this world. Razi and Zakriya who were already five years old wiped away her tears and kissed her bump. And in that moment Khansa knew that these to would always protect their sister.

You heard it right Kahnsa was having a girl and had told Razi and Zakriya that no matter what happens they were to name the girl Zoya.

A few weeks had passed with serenity. Akram was urgently called to the local hospital. Not know why he did not rush for his wife and daughter were safe and sound. But it seemed as if he had forgotten all about his second wife. The one who currently lied in an operation theatre fighting for her life.

When Akram reached the hospital he was asked to enter the room. What he saw broke him. He realised that he and his family had been so cruel. Khansa had lost her father and no one had cared about her feelings. She had been married without any happiness. And throughout her pregnancy she had no one to help her.

For a moment Khansa opened her eyes and motioned her daughters father to come forward. Holding his hand in her pale and completely lifeless hand she spoke
"Mein tumhe aur tumhary ghar walon mo maaf karti hun. Meray saath jo bhi huwa so huwa. Par huamri beti ka khyail rakhna. Ussko apni pari bana kar rakhna. Wada - w-w".
(I forgive you and your family for all that you have done. What ever has happened has happened forget it. Just take care of our daughter. Love her and cherish her. Promise - p-p). Before Khansa could complete her sentence she flat lined and was pronounced dead at 04:00 am on the 30th of April 1994.

After he had dealt with the funeral and all the doctors called him and told him that his daughter was healthy to be taken home. When Akram held her in his hand for the first time , he instantly fell in love with her. Perhaps even more than he loved Laiba.

When he entered the house Zakriya shouted
"Tayabu has brought Zoya home".
Looking at Zakriya with a faint smile he nodded. And so his daughter was named Zoya Akram.

Akram faced challenges for no one was willing to breast feed his child or take care of her. But he learnt it and when he came tired from work , his precious Zoya would kiss his forehead and slobber the rest of his face to. Which would always make him smile. Despite the lack of a supportive wife who would take care of Zoya , Akram never felt tired of her. And he thanked Khansa every night for giving him such a beautiful gift. One that he will always hold close to his heart. As long as he lived.

And occasionally he would whisper in her ear "Zoya my love , dad will always love and cherish you. Spoil you and will be like mother to you as well. InshAllah. (If Allah Wills).

A few years later at the Khan mansion

Zayyad stood and lifted the dead body of his parents. And entered the graveyard. His parents had passed away in a car crash. And he now had the responsibility of three younger brothers. Whilst he was only seven years old himself. That day he promised his self that his brothers would be cherished and loved. Like his parents had raised him.

Zayyad was the apple of his parents eye. His brothers were young. They did not deserve to be left without their parents as orphans. His grandfather could not live with the loss of his sons death. He passed away in his sleep a few days after the death of his son. Leaving his wife a widow and the young children without any male figure in their life.