ONE

"But the best of planners is Allah" (8:30) Surah Anfal

The sounds of bangles hitting against each other echoed around the four walls of the Ahmed Mansion. The night was still young and everyone was getting ready for the mehndi of Laiba. The weather of Islamabad was as pleasant as it could get. With the trees blowing in soft whispers and leaves dancing through the night. The sky was crystal clear and tonight the stars shone bright making the sky glitter. As if someone had decorated the sky heavily with lights. The Ahmed's house hold itself was decorated with a lot of fairy lights. Ranging from yellow to soft hues of orange. In its neighbourhood the house stood out. With its brightness providing more light than the complete dull street lamps. There were cars constantly arriving at their gates. From each care came people more heavily dressed than the previous ones. From heavily embroidered lehngas to their immaculately painted faces. Everything screamed perfection about them.

Inside the house , the women were getting ready. The bride , Laiba , was wearing a turmeric coloured lehnga (a long skirt) with an orange coloured choli (shirt). Her hair had been pulled into a fishtail and her face was covered in makeup hiding her natural beauty from the eyes of the spectators. Everything about her defined a typical Pakistani bride to be. With shy eyes and heavy gold jewellery.

Her younger sister Zeenia , who had recently turned twenty-two years old came into the room with her cousin Mira. Both of them were twinning in the same orange and blue lehnga choli. They placed the duppata (a long cloth used to cover ones head or put in ones neck) on her head and then lead her outside to the stage where her husband to be Junaid sat.

The function was for both women and men , like the new trend. Both the families were dressed heavily except for Zoya , the unwanted child. Zoya sat in the corner of the backyard away from all the celebrations. She knew she did not have a part in these ceremonies where close families were important. She was a liability to them just like her mother. And the only three people that cared about her were her father and cousin-brothers Zakriya and Rizwan. They too right now were busy in the celebration of Laiba.

Zoya was wearing a black and pink lehnga choli. Her step-mother had nit wanted for Zoya to get any new clothes. So the dresses she had for the wedding were simple and old. She had been wearing these clothes for years on end to weddings within the family. The first one being the wedding of her best friend Bareeha that happened around three and a half years ago. The sides of the lehnga were ruined and the choli was not as up to date. People looked at her as if she was an outcast. Which she most probably was in her family.

Seeing Laiba getting married in such a fancy manner brought tears in her eyes. For when she was a child as naive as a dove , Zoya had dreamt about wearing fancy clothes and henna (a herb used to apply on hands as a temporary tattoo) on her wedding. But then reality had struck. For even if her father wanted to give her the wedding of her dreams , his wife and first born would prevent that from happening and would have her married in the simplest way possible. Much like the wedding her mother had had.

At first Zoya had despised her father for treating her mother as trash. But later on she had realised that hating him would not bring back her mother.

Akram Ahmed , stood next to the stage. Where his daughter and her fiancé sat. Completing all the traditions. Looking at his daughters henna covered hands brought tears into his eyes. And he prayed for her to always remain happy like this. His eyes ran all over the crowd. A smile never leaving his face. Except for when he looked into the darkest corner. Where he saw his daughter , Zoya sitting all alone. A pained smile on her face.

He sighed. Seeing her in an old dress. He has bought her a new one but it had been taken by Zeenia and then Mira bought one just like it. He weaved through the crowd and had almost reached Zoya , who still sat in oblivion. When someone grabbed his hand.

He turned around to see his wife standing with a furious look on her face "Rehnay dou Ahmed. Yeh humaray khandan ki khushi hai. Eik bhoj ko is mein shamil karne ki koi zaroorat nahi!" ( Leave it Ahmed. This is our family's happiness. No need to involve a liability in it).

Perhaps, Ahmed would've replied harshly to this comment. However his love for his wife and the two daughters he had from her stopped him. In his heart he felt like a failed father. Every time there was an occasion important to Zoya he had to miss it. Zeenia and Zoya had the same date of birth , which meant that he could never attend Zoya's birthday. And seeing her alone today made him realise how alone she actually was. Deprived of her mother, father and grandparents love.

Soon it was time for dinner. Zoya had been given strict orders to eat after the event had ended. And when dinner was being served to go inside the house and help prep the dessert.

Zoya was running towards her house when she bumped into a guy. He was wearing a maroon shalwar kameez (a traditional Pakistani dress for men). The colour made her realise that he was most probably from the grooms side as the bride's side was wearing a turmeric shalwar kameez.

Apologising in a low tone , Zoya continued towards her house and entered the kitchen. Unknown to the fact that the guy she had bumped into was already falling in love with her.

Outside in the marquee, Zayyad stood in the centre talking to his cousin Danish who was the brother of the groom Junaid. They were all close to each other. While they were conversing a girl bumped into him. Her perfume smelled like roses and vanilla mixed together. The scent enticed him and the dark hair on the wheat-ish coloured woman intrigued him.

He was about to follow her when Danish stopped him. "Bhai leave her alone. She is the step sister of Laiba. You could get anyone better. Someone not a product of an unwanted marriage".

Zayyad could care less. He was already falling in love with her. Her hair. Her scent. Her perfume. Everything screamed innocence and naivety. He would've followed her but wanted to keep it halal (Something that is legal or approved of in Islam) . As he knew that since she was the product of a second marriage life must already be tough for her.

Zayyad headed towards his Dadi. And narrated the incident to her. She smiled at her already smitten grandson and promised to bring a proposal as soon as the wedding had ended.

The rest of the night was spent in restlessness by both Zoya and Zayyad. As Zayyad couldn't wait to make Zoya his. And Zoya was restless as she felt sick. Most probably because the last thing she had had was breakfast. After which she had been busy applying henna for her cousins and doing their makeup and hair.

Zayyad longed to give her love.
Zoya longed for someone to give her love.

Little did they know. That when they were wishing , the angels were all chanting "InshAllah" (If Allah wills).

END OF CHAPTER ONE

WORD COUNT : 1270 words.