SIXTEEN

It has been a years old tradition. That daughters own the most sensitive parts of their father's hearts. For them nothing hurts more than seeing their precious go astray. The people of the subcontinent have long associated daughters with honours. But they bave been misguided. What the wish to show is that daughter's own their hearts so when one betrays them, they feel immensly broken and they can no longer look themselves in the eye. It is the hardest when for a father when his little girl is sent back home from her in laws home. Not because she failed at making a home. But because this daughter will face the world alone whilst also fighting with the fear of not being good enough.

Akram was no exception to such feelings. The moment their door bell was rung at night, he felt something was wrong. Then seeing Zeenia standing on the porch with her suitcases in hand, he was super shocked.
"Zeenia mera bacha. Andar aao". He rushed her inside their lavish place. The look on her face told him that Ali had not come. Alishba rushed towards her daughter and wrapped her hands around her.
"Mera bacha kiya huwa?" The worry in her voice tangible. Through this chaos, Zeenia remained silent. She just shook her head and went upstairs, into her room.

"Zeenia ko khana do. Puchu uss sai keh kiya huwa hai? Yeh koi tareeka hai?" Akram spoke controlling his temper. Knowing his wife and daughter, they had probably done something to bring such date upon themselves. Grumbling, to himself, Akram went to the garden for a walk. His steps heavy. The feeling of nervousness inside him growing each passing second. His heart beating fast. Thinking to talk to Zeenia himself, he went inside.

Alishba, brought a tray laden with mutton biryani. Her little girl's favourite. She knew what had happened. After all Alishba herself was the mastermind behind the plan.
"Zeenia huwa kiya hai?"
"Mama woh Zayyad nai sara plan kharab kar diya tha. Ali nai ghar sai nikal diya hai mujhe. Ab aap batain mein kiya karun?" Zeenia questioned worried. Not about her relationship but regarding her expenses. Sure she was spoiled but her father gave her limited pocket money, unlike Ali.
"Pareshan na ho. Woh khud aain gai tumhaya lenay," her mother reassured. Just then heavy footsteps were heard on the landing.
"Zeenia jaldi sai acting karo ronay ki," Alishba gave instructions to her daughter. Compiling to the instructions, she began to act like a sad, heartbroken woman.

"Zeenia!" Her father called her name as soon as he entered the room.
"Ji abbu?"
"Tum iss waqt akeli kyun aai ho?"
"Woh abbu mein nai na Ali ko eik auk larki keh saath dekh liya tha. Mein yeh beizzati bardasht nahi kar pai. Isliye sab chod kar aagai!" Her crocodile tears free flowing down her cheeks.
"Mera bacha!" Akram felt his heart tremble. He began to shake instantaneously.
"AKRAM!"
"ABBU!"
Both the women screamed. He began taking deep breaths and coughing. His heart beat slowing down significantly.
"Rizwan!" Alishba called out to her sister's son. He came rushing. On seeing the man on the floor, he took him in his arms. Carrying him down the stairs in a rush.

Most of them stayed behind. Praying for the elderly man. They would occasionally get calls to be updated by Rizwan regarding what had happened. It was a cardiac arrest. The reason was stress. No one knew why he was stressed. It was all due to the man lately rethinking all that he had done in his life. And all the mistreatments that he had done.

Truly a man remembers his shortcomings and all the injustices he has done in the last moments of his life.

[ F E W H O U R S L A T E R]

Zoya woke up late. Events of last night had her worn out. Never did she think she would be sitting in a room full of people who were questioning her honour. She was proud that Zayyad had stood up for her. Rushing out of the warm bed, she rapidly got dressed for work. Wearing a plain black suit with a white turtleneck she left for the firm. Not even stopping for having breakfast.
"Zoya beta-" dadi called after her.
"Dadi. Sorry abhi late ho rahi hon. Aakar baat karun gi," she politely murmured and left. The driver already waiting inside the car.

She had to sign an immensely important deal. One of the biggest media houses wanted her company to lend them one of their model kicthens for a show. This deal could take the company to new heights. Like never imagined before. Rushing over her notes with her secretary, Zoya entered the large conference room.

"Good morning gentlemaen. Let us begin the meeting". The professional smile not leaving her face even once. As the deal began to slowly progress, Zoya's phone began ringing. At first shs ignored it. But after the fifth ring, Zoya excused herself.
"Rizwan bhai khariat?" Not understanding what was so urgent that he would continue to call her eventhough she kept rejecting it.
"Z-Zoya tumharay walid ka inteqal ho gaya hai," Rizwan told her siberly.
"KIA!" Zoya numbly went to the meeting room and cancelled the meeting excusing herself for "personal reasons".

Zayyad who had already been called by Rizwan, stood outside Zoya's office ready to accompany her. As soon as she rushed out, he began to drive fastly towards her maternal home. At the large home, there was nothing but a feeling of dreadful restlessness. The halls were filled with women in white. Who all began whispering, pointing fingers at the kind of outfit she had donned whilst coming to the janaza of her father. The hysterical sobs of the women and upset faces of the men added to the depressing background. The dead body was still laying in between the ladies to see for one last time. Yet before she could get a glimpse, her cruel dadi dragged her away. While Zayyad's dadi looked at them silently. The woman who always stood up for her not visible.

"YAHAN KIA KAR RAHI HO LARKI?" Her dadi shouted at her.
"ABBU-"
"Are woh tumhara baao nahi. Tum eik kaal ghalti ho. Samjhi! Pehlay maa ko nigli! Phir meri beti Zeenia ko ghar sai nikalwa diya aur ab meray shohar ko bhi nigal gai!" Alishba shouted at her in rage.
"DAFA HO JAO YAHAN SAI! TUMHARA KOI HAQ NAHIN BANTA AANAY KA!" Laiba shouted. And once again her grandmother in law remained silent.

Zoya headed out with regret. She did not understand why they were all so bitter. They could have just let her attend her father's funeral but no. They wanted to make a show of his funeral. What did they get by making her feel like the lowest of creatures.

It was once she was in the safety of her room that Zayyad took her into his own arms.
"Zoya. Tumhay jo bhi mehsoos ho raha hai tum saaf saaf bolo". He gently cooed at her.
"Zayyad, meri koi feelings nahi hain. Mein andar sai numb mehsoos kar rahi hun. Han dujh hai keh ab na baap hai na maa. Par mein tou in rishton ka maini waisay bhi nahi janti thi. Tou samajh nahi aarahi. Kiya mein beighairat hun keh dukh nahi hai aapnay baap keh marnay ka?" She looked at him like a little child looking for answers.
"Nahi Zoya meri jaan. Jo tumhe mehsoos ho raha hai bilkul theek hai. Tum uss aadmi ko eik baap ki tarah nahi janti thi. Ismein tumhari koi ghalti nahi hai. Udas mat ho". As if on cue her stomach rumbled. Causing Zayyad to laugh. He went outside to get her some late lunch, wondering in his heart why his grandmother chose to remain silent again.