NINETEEN [E N D]

The birds that chirped outside were a stark contrast to the silence and inner turmoil faced by the residents of the Khan mansion. Each breath was full of anticipation and dread. It was finally time for the dirty laundry of all to he aired.

The large archway that led into the exquisitely decorated living room opened, was currently crowded by the residents of the large home. To see him finally stand infront of them once again was a dream that no one ever expectes to come true. And yet it had happened. Standing infront of them all was a well built man who was in his late fifties. His french beard maintained with crisp angular precision.His salt and pepper hair cut into a short length. A straight nose bridge supported some large spectacles that hid his large eyes. His eyes a dark green shade, the utmost proof of his position in the influential family. The man wore a classic white shalwar kameez.

His presence so loud that all other sounds were immediately ignored. Perhaps that is why no one had heard Alishba come into the home, uninvited, until she began to speak.
"ALI YOU WANT TO DIVIRCE MY DAUGHTER? OKAY BUT FIRST LISTEN TO ME! I WILL TELL YOU THE REAL FACE OF YOUR DADI!" Her venomous tone, broke the silence.

Everyone turned around. They were all stupefied. What had the old woman done that everyone was against her? Alishba gave all of them a look of hatred and upon noticing a new person in the room spoke
"Yeh kon hai? Iss aadmi ko bolo jai idhr sai! Yeh baatein bahir walon-", having heard enough of her bullshit, Ali interrupted her.

"Yeh aadmi bahir wala nahi, mera baap hai!" His teeth clenched as he observed the change in Alishba's face. Her expression from a taunting manner went to serious and straight. Never had she expected that the man that was presumed dead for so long was infact alive.

"Yeh kaise? Tum logon ki dadi-?" Alishba voiced her confusion. All eyes turned towards the man, Aliyan Khan, to see how he would respond.
"Very well. I will answer the question of each one of you. But first kick Ali's mother in law out. She has no right knowing this. As she said bahir walon ka koi kaam nahi," he addressed his sons politely.  Zayyad nodded his head and called for a gaurd to escort the woman out. Alishba, shouted hysterically all the way out. Never had she thought that it would all come down to this. That the only bait she had in her hands would be taken away from her in the blink of an eye.

After Alisbha had left and the commotion died down, Zayyad along with the rest of the family led Aliyan to the living room. Where they sat down for a long chat.
"Abu baataien aap keh saath kiya huwa tha aur iss mein dadi ka kia haath hai?" Zayyad being the eldest questioned.
"Beta mein tum sab keh saath hi tha. Bas aankhon sai dur tha". He smiled at his eldest.
"Likin baba uss din huwa kiya tha?" Zain being the most impatient asked.
"Arrey meri nanhi si jaan batata hun", he lookef at his mother with eyes full of hatred.

"Beta tum logon ki dadi saari zindagi apnay shohar keh piyaar ko tarasti rahi. Woh piyaar unko meray paida honay par mila. Par jab meri shaadi huwi tou unse bardasht na hosaka keh mein apni biwi, yani tum logon ki ammi sai betahasha mohabbat karta hun. Isliye eik din jab unki baho kisi waja sai nikal rahi thi tou unhon nai eik bande ko hire kar keh kaha unki  gari mein takar marne ko. Par unhe yeh maloom na tha keh uss gari mein tum logon ki ammi keh saath mein bhi sawar hun. Uss din meri biwi nai meray haatun mein dam tora. Tum logon ko uss sazishi aaurat sai bachanay keh liye mein nai aapni death ka bhi natak kiya. Takey tum logon ko koi aanch na aai. Par ab, ab jab yeh Ali ki zindagi barbad kar rahi thi tou mujhe wapis ana hi para". Aliya stopped speaking and then smiled at his sons.

"Chalo ab meri bahuon sai tou milwao mujhe!" He spoke with a cheer in his tone. So one by one, Hamza and Zayyad came forward to introduce their wives to him. Aliyan immediately felt a father like bond with them and kissed both of their foreheads before turning to his own mother.

"Ammi baaki baatein eik taraf, Ali ki saas ko aap ki harkat ka kaise pata tha?" The rage inside his voice was felt by everyone present.
"W-w-woh-," Dadi stuttered and found it difficult to complete her sentence.
"Kiya woh woh ki raat lagai huwi hai! Sahi jawab dein!" Aliyan was clearly at the end of his patience.

"Usne mujhe phone par baat karte huway sun liya tha! Mein uss driver sai baat kar rahi thi-" she was yet again cut off.
"Ab kiya kaam tha?" Zayyad said icily.
"Mein Zoya-" Upon hearin her name, Zayyad threw down the china tea cup that had just been handed to him down.
"BAS! AINDA AAP KEH MUN SAI ZOYA KA NAAM MAT SUNO! AAJ SAI AAPKA AUR MERA KOI TALUQ NAHI!" With raging finality in his voice he left with Zoya, towards their bedroom.

[ A T T H E H O S P I T A L ]

"Mein tou wahan gai thi keh uss budhi ko uskay gurror keh saamne sharminda kar keh aaun gi! Par wahan par tou kissa hi alag tha. Itnay saalon sai mara huwa beta majood tha!" Alishba narrated the incident to her two daughters and sister. Who were all equally shocked.

"Iska matlab ab Zeeniya ko talaq ho keh rahay gi?" Mira wondered out loud.
"Han par meri behen ko tou Ali jaise hazaar mil jain gai" Laiba tried to lighten the atmosphere. Their aunt, Hina jumped in the conversation and agreed aswell. Telling Zeeniya to focus on the child in the womb.

"Khala agar iss bache ko kuch ho bhi gaya tou mujhe thodi na koi nuqsan ho ga?" Zeeniya said with so much insensitivity that the nurse that had come inside to give her an injection could not help but wince. This woman was very obnoxious. To think some people struggle to have a child for most of their lives and this one thought that losing one was no big deal.

[ K H A N M A N S I O N ]

After Aliyan had revealed the entire scheme of his mother, everyone retired to their own bedrooms leaving the elderly woman to repent all alone. Zayyad and Zoya were sitting on their balcony. They were surrounded by a layer of peace and warmth. Zayyad was sad at the betrayal of his grandmother, the woman who had a huge hand in raising him while he was simultaneously celebrating the life of his father.

"Zayyad zindagi bhi kitni ajeeb si hai! Jisko bichdai bars beet gai usko la kar aap keh darwazay par khada kar diya," Zoya softly whispered as she played with his soft hair.
"Isi ka naam tou zindagi hai Zoya. Kabhi bhi kuch bhi ho sakta hai!" He replied in an equally soft whisper. Raising his head from her lap, Zayyad kissed the soft lips of his wife. Basking in the essence of their ever growing love for each other.

It was at dinner that Aliyan sat down with his family for a hearty laughter filled meal. They all cracked jokes and reminisced the past that was full of love and hardships alike. Aliyan gave both his daughter in law's a small piece of land as a gift.

"Baba aap ko Maryam aur Zoya bhabhi apnay betaun sai ziyada azeez hai!" Zain exclaimed dramatically.
"Arey han tou tumhair bandar jaise shakal un hoorun sai compare bhi nahi ki jaa sakti," Aliyan joked.
"Well baba meri shakal aap sai milti hai!" Zain gave a witty reply which led to bouts of laughter.

[ A F E W M O N T H S L A T E R ]

[ T H E H O S P I T A L ]

The doctors brought out a little bundle of joy wrapped in pink sheets and handed her to her father. The man, nervously grabbed her as if scared he would hurt her on adding the smallest of pressures. The little girl smiled at her father who could not do anything. He was a goner at first sight.

"Rania Ali Kahn". Ali introduced his daughter to his family who cooed at her continuously. The girl would rule the hearts of them all for sure.

Now it was time for Zeeniya to suffer.