FOURTEEN

The winters came with roaring cold winds. The sky full of dark, dreary and grey clouds. The Siberian winds brought with themselves an onslaught of heavy rain. The fir trees that touched the sky finally let go of the mud that was housed on them for quite some time now.

With the cold weather came the most awaited time of the year. The wedding season. Every night cars would rush along the roads just to reach the venues on time and consume the scrumptious food. The women were in a constant fight to see who would out dress the other. You could never tell who aas the guest and who was the bride thanks to the fact the everyone was dressed like a bride.

December had just begun. The Khan and Siddiqui family was busy in preparation. All the wedding venues had been finalised. From caterers to the decoration of the lights, all plans were set in stone. Now all that remained was for them to get their dresses. Maryam, had been accompanied by Zoya to go to the famous markets of Islamabad to look for her dream dress. They had planned to have the mehndi and rukhstai on the same day. Whilst the walima would be held after a one day gap.

Maryam like any other girl was ecstatic about her wedding. She had dreams and she was just a step closer to fulfilling them. Hamza was a sincere and loyal companion and no one was better suited to her than he was. The mutual understanding that they had was wonderful. She only needed to lift her eyes in his direction and a box of juice would be infront of her. Zoya, qas her favourite sister in law. Zeenia had only been rude to her anytime she visited with Zoya. Zeenia was a bitter woman and always taunted her about her middle class background. But Zoya, Allah bless that woman, consoled her everytime.

The past few months that she had known Zoya, Maryam had comebti realise that she was a soft hearted woman, who was just beginning to discover her real potential. All thanks to her supportive husband. Maryam had seen the reflection of Zayyad in Hamza. And so if Hamza was just like Zayyad then no doubt her life would be blissful.

It was only twenty days to their marriage. Maryam wanted to meet with Hamza and so she had asked Zoya to accompany them. Now they all sat in the very famous PF Changs. Whilst they were waiting for their food, Zoya stood up.
"I need to use the powder room. You should talk about what you wanted to talk about," Zoya brushed her hand on top of Maryam's head. She had truly  found a little sister in her and prayed that Maryam would never shed a tear.

A few minutes after Zoya left, Hamza gestured towards Maryam to speak.
"Hamza I want to talk about our life after marriage". There she had aaid it.
"What about it?" Hamaa questioned, mirth dancing in his eyes.
"Hamza mein humaray goals keh baarey mein baat karna chahti hun".
"What about them?"
"I wish to work after our marriage. I do not want kids till the next five years. I want to travel a lot". She spoke a bit worried that he might reject her ideas.
"Tou meri piyaari si bakri, udas mat ho. I have no problem in you working. I get it. Mein bhi abhi young hun lets travel and enjoy life before having kids. But agar tum pregnant ho bhi gai tou mein upset nahi hun ga. A child is a gift from Allah. Acha ab batao aur kiya chahiye?" Hamza said, so signs of the joking around present.
"Aap ka piyaar," Maryam whispered cheekily. Just then Zoya's chair scraped against the floor and their waiter brought them their lunch. The trio spent the rest of the time indulged in the luxurious food.

The next day, the heavy fog had finally given way to a not so dominat sun. Eventhough the sun was high up in the air, but the blanket of chill over powered the sun's heat. It seemed to be the prefect day to go shopping. Hence why Zayyad was accompanying Zoya.

The tiny streets of gigantic bazaar were full of clothing. From the walls to the benches, all had an array of clothing. The smell of cloth, threads clouded the senses. Men ran around carrying trays that were filled to the brim with snacks. Hoping to attract a costumer. Zoya had taken the lead, maneuvering through the overcrowded place skillfully, Zayyad following behind closely.