22

Armineh put the food in the tray she had cooked for the both of them and carried it to his door.

She had nothing else to do when she'd return home, the piercing silence and the four walls had seemed to close in on her during her first few days in his loft so she'd decided she'd do the evening chores, cleaning, cooking. She didn't mind as long as her mind was occupied.

She had especially looked forward to cooking dinner in the beginning, bubbled with excitement, she had thought she'd greet him when he'd open the door as she'd handover the food tray to him because the cook had told him, Yahya Firas had never used the dining table for as long as he'd worked here. She had tried again and again walking to his door with a smile on his face, she had waited for him to open the door but he didn't. He never opened the door as long as she remained there, Armineh had heard the door open while she walked away as if he knew precisely when she'd leave or it was just a coincidence. Thrice was enough to confirm her suspicions and she hadn't tried again as disappointment flooded in her chest. She had cried, cried for the cruelty fate had shown her but she had no choice. She had to be strong and she had to do this, she chose this for herself.

Armineh never saw him after the day she had met him in the garden, he seemed to follow a routine that didn't collide with hers at all, the only rule: avoid Armineh as best as you can. Armineh didn't know when he went to the office, when he returned, she just knew he'd be cooped up in his sanctuary when she'd be there to deliver the dinner. She had never heard a single voice come out of his room for the total of two and a half weeks she'd spent here. She almost thought this was a bland dream, there was no happiness, no sadness. Nothing which hurt her all the more. Why was everything like this? Why was he so hell bent on avoiding her? She didn't want to strong, she shouldn't have to be. Armineh wiped a lone tear that had escaped her eye. Can she just leave everything behind her? But she had tried that route, hadn't she? Once, for three years she had forgotten he had existed, continued living her life as if she wasn't married and where that had taken her? Nowhere. She was stuck, she felt like she has been stuck, forever.

She will do this, she will do it by hook or by crook. Armineh was no quitter and she certainly, wouldn't give up.

She kept the tray on mat and knocked twice, consecutively on the door before turning around and walking back to the kitchen.

Yahya Firas stepped out of the washroom in his shalwar. His hair dripping wet as the two consecutive knocks resounded on the door. He pulled the kameez over his, buttoning it at the collars. He went to the door, his heart jumping in his chest and pulled it open, slightly, the door creaked open without as much as a squeak.

He picked the food tray from the mat, straightened and slowed down, maybe he'd see her. Yahya Firas shook his head, getting rid of his unwanted thoughts.

He had been alone for so long, so long, only thinking of seeing her again had freaked him out and he had shut the door before he could even catch a glimpse of her but he couldn't deny, he craved it- craved a single sight of her as he had since forever. Twice, he had seen her twice before and she was a vision. Someone, anyone who could be with him.

Maybe, some day.

Yahya Firas blinked as he sat down on the bed and put the first morsel of delicious food inside his mouth. The flavors bursted in his mouth as his taste buds swelled at the taste of it.

It was well into the week after she'd shifted here that he noticed the change, the food tasted different, not the bad different. The good kind, it only horrified him and yet, he persisted instead of cowering in the face of fear as he would have.