chapter three

"Hey, Tony, do you think you could help me with my homework tonight? I'm not very good at this stuff."

I had only known the kid for one day and he was already asking me for help with his homework?

"Um, sure."

"Cool, thanks."

...

We got to my house, and I had never been so anxious. I didn't know what to say. "Nice place," he said, when the silence dragged on for too long.

I awkwardly smiled.

We walked into my room, and he sat down on my bed. I could feel my heart rate inclining. He pulled out his homework and I sat down next to him.

My breathing started to get heavier and heavier.

I tried my best to ignore and started helping him with his work. But it was getting worse and worse. No, not now, I thought.

I guess it got really bad, cause Steve began to notice. "Hey, are you okay?"

I wasn't. I doubled over onto the floor, trying to catch my breath. My whole body was shaking uncontrollably. Steve dropped to his knees by my side.

"Tony, what's wrong?"

He grabbed my chin, forcing me to make eye contact with him. "Tony," he whispered. "It's okay." I finally began to calm down, and collapsed in his arms. I closed my eyes as he held me.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I didn't t-take my pills today."

"Don't apologize," he said. I noticed he was stroking my hair. "It's alright."