thirteen.

MAY, 1987, Aberdeen WA

          TIME DRAGGED SLUGGISHLY throughout Lindy's last two months of high school, but finally, finally the end of May had arrived and her graduation was a few short days away. She would be graduating in the top twenty students of her class, an achievement she had not told a soul about. Not even Kurt knew of her success.

In her final weeks of high school, Lindy's relationship with Kurt has blossomed into a truly dedicated relationship. Kurt had saved up enough money from work to purchase a used Datsun which he drove the both of them around in, blaring music with the windows rolled down.

Once she'd been freed from her house arrest for what Lee had called 'good behavior,' Lindy had spent her free time with the band, watching them practice and chewing on pen caps while she completed a load of end-of-semester homework. She wouldn't have had it any other way. Being around Kurt, especially when he was playing music, was a blessing.

Trae was still living out of Krist and Shelli's house as he had yet to be invited back into his own home. This worked fine for Lindy, who was so frequently present at Krist's house anyways with Kurt that she still saw her brother plenty. Her excuses that she doled out to Lee for being gone usually included studying at the library, volunteering for scholarship hours or working on projects with assigned partners.

Lee did not, and could not, know about Kurt.

On the evening that Lindy received her cap and gown, she decided to bring it over to Krist's house to try it on. Kurt was there, splayed out on the couch and absentmindedly picking the strings of a guitar. He watched Lindy with intensity as she adjusted her cap over her hair. 

"It's too tight," she complained, spinning around and trying to catch a glimpse over her shoulder in Shelli's full length mirror. Kurt glanced up, smiled at her briefly, and returned his attention to his guitar.

"This thing is atrocious. I look like I'm wearing a garbage bag," Lindy said in a huff, pulling at the cotton polyester billowing out at her midsection. 

"Go naked," Kurt suggested seriously. Lindy removed her cap and threw it at him.

"Nudity isn't an option. I'll have to blend in with the rest of the class of eight-seven."

"You don't blend in, you stand out in the best way possible," Kurt said automatically, never one to let his girlfriend beat up on herself. 

"You'll be there, right?" Lindy asked hopefully.

"Yeah, of course I will," Kurt said. He seemed uncomfortable despite his promise, like the thought of Lindy receiving her diploma was equivalent to her being shipped off to join the military.

"Linds, what are you going to do come August?" he finally asked, setting his guitar down.

"I don't know," Lindy admitted. Lee had still not shown any sign of budging in his stance on Lindy attending UW, and the day for her to secure her spot at the college was the following week. She was running out of time to make a decision.

"Probably just go to school down the road," she mumbled, referring to the local community college.

"But that's not what you want," Kurt pointed out sadly.