fifteen.

LATER THAT NIGHT, Lindy sat in her bedroom, her legs cris-crossed on her bed as she stared at her walls. There were so many posters, so many decorations that she had coated the white paint with that she wondered how she would manage to take them all with her to college.

College. It was still hardly fathomable to her that she was actually going to be able to go to UW.

When her and Lee had returned home from lunch, Lindy had patiently waited until his attention was honed in on a baseball game before she had made the phone call to UW, accepting her place at the school for fall.

Telling Lee that she would be leaving was something that nauseated her, but it couldn't outweigh the pure joy she felt at knowing her one dream that she had had for years was coming true.

Lindy pulled Trae's check out of her nightstand drawer, smoothing it down and staring at it in wonder. What a blessing it was — not only was it a gift from her brother, but also from her mom, who was surely still looking after her despite the fact that she was gone.

Hannah had granted Lindy the best gift in the world with the sum of money she had left behind. It was a chance to follow her path, to do what she loved and prove to everyone that she could fulfill her own dreams. She especially hoped to show her father what she was made of. She wanted to see the look on his face when she would one day graduate from nursing school.

And along with such bliss came the knowledge that Kurt was likely going to be following her to Seattle with the band. Krist and Shelli had discussed renting a home outside of the city where all three of them could bunk, splitting the monthly payment. A new drummer would be needed, but Kurt didn't seem to really mind that. He was craving someone new for the band anyways.

Lindy would miss Trae desperately, but the previous night he had mentioned to her that he was most likely leaving Spin City to work in a nearby mechanic's shop. Apparently, the kind, elderly owner had offered him a job after inquiring about his familiarity with cars. It had been a well-rounded enough answer to get him the job.

Things were falling into place. They were falling into place so quickly in fact, Lindy felt as if she couldn't keep up. The excitement of it all had her blood flowing straight to her head, dizzying her into a spinning rush. It was a happy rush, though. It was a culmination of all sorts of delight that had evaded her for years.

From outside below her window came a low whistle. She smiled eagerly, scrambling out of bed and rushing to greet her visitor.

As she pushed the windows upwards, careful to keep quiet, she looked down at Kurt smiled up at her. 

"I had a feeling you'd show up," she called down to him.

"Of course I would. It's a night for celebration."

Feeling brave, Lindy considered her options. She was already dressed in her oversized night shirt and she certainly didn't feel like going out in that or changing. Boldly, she made a snap decision.

"How about you come up here?"

Kurt raised his eyebrows, appalled at her suggestion. "Are you sure about that?"

"Yeah, I am. Just come up and be quiet and we'll be fine." Lindy scrunched the hem of her t-shirt in her hand, suddenly nervous. Her heart was picking up speed, but she didn't care. It was pounding in her ears as she stared down at Kurt's silhouette. 

"You want me to ring the doorbell too?" Kurt asked sarcastically.

"No." Lindy rolled her eyes. "See the shed? There's a ladder in it. Prop it up against that, climb on top and you can come through."