sixteen.

WHEN LINDY WOKE up up the next morning, she laid very still, not willing to move a muscle in the silence of her room. The only sound was the distant hum of the television downstairs, a typical noise on a weekend morning in her home.

Her fingers twitched, skimming the threadbare lining of her sheets. Only hours ago, she had not been alone between them. Kurt had been there too, intertwined with her, his hands roving her body along with his lips.

She shivered at the memory, feeling a warm flood of happiness pool in the center of her chest and spread out in a series of ripples. It had been, without a sliver of doubt, the best night of her life.

Not only had Kurt told her that he loved her, but they had crossed over into a bond of intimacy she had started to believe she'd never fully experience. Now, she didn't want to ever experience it with anyone else.

After they had finished Kurt had laid with her, his fingers lightly pulling through her hair as he talked about where he saw them both in a few years. He hoped that the band would have taken off by then, and that Lindy would have become head nurse at some prestigious Seattle hospital.

They were big dreams, a far extension past actual reality, but Lindy had believed him. Even in their make believe world, he was as convincing as could be. And as they laid there whispering in the darkness, she told herself her future would be incomplete without Kurt in it.

He had eventually gotten up and dressed to leave once Lindy's eyes started to grow heavy. He'd kissed her forehead and climbed back out the window, limberly lowering himself back onto the shed and down the ladder. He tucked all the evidence that he had been there away and sauntered into the night, the natural, honey-like fragrance of Lindy's skin still on him until he reached his car. It was parked conveniently a few houses down to avoid suspicion.

Lindy sat up in bed and stretched her arms over her knees, appreciating the lazy, content feeling within her soul. She recalled the previous night once more, resisting the urge to bite her lip when she remembered every spot on her body where Kurt's lips had brushed against.

When she finally got out of bed and approached her dresser, she noticed a slip of lined paper resting in the midst of her belongings that had Kurt's tiny scrawl written on it. It had been torn in half out of her notebook, and was missing its end. Excited, she picked it up.

I don't know how the morning after works when you're actually in love, but I left you a token of my adoration for you directly beneath the stairs, under your front porch. I more-than-love you,
Kurdt

Lindy pressed her lips into a smile, setting the note down and grabbing her nearest pair of pajama bottoms. She tugged them on and threw open her bedroom door, taking the stairs two at a time.

"Going somewhere?" Lee asked, a black suspicion crossing his face over his daughter's hurried jaunt.

"Checking the mail!" she called over her shoulder.

"I already got the —," Lee began, but she didn't give him a chance to finish. She dashed down the rickety front steps to her house after closing the front door, eagerly crouching down next to them to see what secret present had been left for her.

Nestled into the grass in the shadows of the stairs was a small collection of wildflowers, bundled together and laid out neatly. On top of them sat a guitar pick, scratched and faded from frequent use.

Lindy could feel her face smiling again as she retrieved her gifts, holding the guitar pick between her thumb and forefinger. Etched onto it in small, black Sharpie print was two initials.

K.C.

authors note.
___
hey guys. okay wow, i'm having MAJOR writers block! i also feel as if i've hit a rut in the story, due to the fact that the timing is off and kurt's career in music has barely started. i mean, "bleach" wasn't even released until 1989 and according to my story, we're still in 1987 🙃 i don't want to do you all dirty and skip out on two years worth of kurt and lindy's relationship, but a few helpful tips of how to speed this story along would be grand. i just don't want to bore anyone, but i want to tell this story the right way and understand the possibilities.