Chapter 1

{Before Chapter 34 of the P&P book}

"They certainly have taken their time to come over..." I heard my aunt's mutterings as the clippity-clop of carriage horses drifted into the windows of Hunsford.

Ba-bum, ba-bum, ba-bum. Why am I so nervous?

"Wake up, Darcy!" My dear cousin slapped my back and rushed to the door.

Why was he so excited? Blast, could it be? Could it be possible that he also covets my Elizabeth? Nay, Fitzwilliam does not have my advantage of wealth. It cannot be.

Unwilling to risk any chances, I shot up from my seat and stomped beside Fitzwilliam.

"Darcy, you finally decided to honour our guests with your presence!" Fitzwilliam grinned cheekily. I rolled my eyes but a dark thought popped into my mind. What if Elizabeth favours Fitzwilliam because of their shared impertinence? Darcy, stop this negativity at once!

The door swung open and our guests entered the room. Blocking out the pleasantries Mr Collins was blabbering, I did a mental headcount.

Where is Elizabeth? Why is she not present? Did no one else notice it?

Interrupting Mr Collins' continuous praise of the Hunsford estate, I addressed Mrs Collins in a sharper tone than I had intended.

"Is Elizabeth not joining us for dinner tonight?"

Blast, I addressed her in her Christian name! What would Mrs Collins think? Mrs Collins explained with apparent surprise, "Elizabeth is not feeling well this evening so she is-"

Elizabeth is sick? I must tend to her right away! Not that I have any medical knowledge but I can always try!

"My coat, please." I signalled to the nearest servant who returned within seconds.

"Darcy, you cannot be serious! Leaving the dinner table for her is simply ridiculous! I command you to be seated immediately!" My aunt rose noisily and her voice boomed across the room.

I have never been serious about anything else in my life. The room was in perfect silence. Even Fitzwilliam, who was itching to make a suggestive comment or laugh, I am sure, held his tongue. Is this your attempt at stopping me? How pathetic.

I narrowed my eyes at my aunt before replying, "Have you not always educate us to be responsible hosts? I believe this is the most suitable opportunity to put your teaching into practice. Please begin dinner without me." With everyone open-mouthed and my aunt flaring with indignation, I slipped out of the door without hesitation.

•~•

I never ran so fast in my life. I reached the door of the parsonage, heart rate escalating. Darcy, you are outside the door. Now open it!

This was a rash and bad decision. Too late to regret now! You are already here, just do it!

Sucking in a big breath, I knocked and pushed the door opened hesitantly. What met my eyes was the greatest relief in my life. Elizabeth was not sick at all! In fact, she looked as pretty as ever. I mean, as well as ever.

How does the flush on her cheeks manage to bewitch me so?

"Eliza-, I mean Miss Elizabeth, are you well?" I forced my brain to construct a sentence. Deep breaths, Darcy, deep breaths.

"I have come in hopes of your speedy recovery." Yes, 9 words without a stammer! A new record!

"Yes, Sir, I am well. Thank you for your concern." Elizabeth replied stiffly and turned away. Is she alright? Why does she look so pallid?