Chapter 11

Apart from Elizabeth, what I had seen of Bingley and Miss Jane Bennet proved to be a topic of contemplation as well. After the separation of the sexes came the new addition of Miss Jane Bennet in the drawing-room. When Bingley, Mr Hurst and I entered, the four ladies seemed to be in the middle of some animated conversation. I have never seen such spirit in Caroline when attending to guests before. However, her attention was instantly directed to us, more accurately me in particular and her recovered guest was soon neglected.

Caroline was about to say something, probably taking credit for nursing her guest back to health, but I strode past her quickly.

"Miss Bennet, it is a pleasure that you have rested well enough to join our company." I believe I have good reason to find pleasure in Miss Bennet's recovery. It shall mean that her sister will take leave of Netherfield soon.

"Very glad... we are very glad to see you well..." Mr Hurst mumbled with a clumsy bow.

"Miss Bennet, I am extremely gratified that you have fully recovered to join our company this evening! Would you require anything for comfort? Is the room too cold or hot for you? Should I request for a stronger fire?" Without waiting for Miss Bennet's reply, Bingley quickly called a servant to pile up the fireplace. That took a half-hour! And if that was not enough telling of his feelings, he afterwards displaced her to the other side of the fireplace, further away from the door. Very subtle indeed, Bingley. Even the blind could tell that Bingley admired Miss Bennet very much so. After distancing Miss Bennet from the rest of us, Bingley sat beside her for the rest of the night and directed most of his attention to her. It was awfully embarrassing to watch such an blatant display of affections. Bingley, if this gets out, your name will be shamed forever!

"Caroline, how about a game of cards?" Mr Hurst suggested after tea was over.

"I am afraid not, Mr Hurst. We should spend the evening enjoying the company of our fair friend Jane here. After all, no one intends to play cards tonight, I dare say." Caroline snapped before smiling at me. Pray, what is this secrecy about? Nevertheless, the absence of Mr Hurst's favourite card-table does not bother me so. As I have mentioned before, I do not care much for cards. I much rather read this evening. Especially to distract me from Bingley's unforgivable behaviour and perhaps also Elizabeth's presence.

I chose a book from Bingley's meagre selections and watched Caroline with a queer look as she took up a book. Who is this creature? What has become of the old Caroline? Has the devil swapped her soul for his? Shaking my head in bewilderment, I opened up my book and started to read. To my greatest ire, Caroline tried prompting me with questions relating to my book or my speed of reading or whatever I was doing. I knew it, the book was solely a pretence. Of what, you might ask? Perhaps to show how "accomplished" she was to have coincidentally picked the sequel of the book I had picked. Yes, I noticed the cover of the book after she took it. How devious indeed. Did you really expect me not to see such an obvious plan to stir me into a conversation? As always, I simply responded to her question and carried on with my reading, determined not to let her get the better of me.

"How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library." Caroline exclaimed with exaggerated enthusiasm. Pray, that is the most uncharacteristic statement I have ever heard from anyone. She was even attempting to hide a yawn but failing miserably. I almost snorted out loud at the irony of her statement but I thought against it and maintained a straight face with my head down. The silence that followed her statement caused me to smirk, gloating at the attention she was receiving. Louisa had joined Bingley by Miss Bennet and Mr Hurst was sleeping on the sofa, so essentially she had no audience whatsoever. Elizabeth was reading like me, I dare say, and she would never condescend herself to answer to such a ridiculous statement like that. In fact, I would not be surprised if she was stifling her own giggles as well.