Chapter 10

It was an uneventful day so far, with the usual gossiping and fake concern from Caroline. I did not have the pleasure of meeting with Elizabeth since last night so I presume she spent most of her time in the company of her sister. It was only in the evening when Elizabeth joined us in the drawing room while I was preoccupied with writing a letter to my beloved sister.

I wonder how is Georgina doing with her new companion, Mrs Annesley. What could they be doing right now? Perhaps playing a duet on the pianoforte? Or enjoying some light reading together? I just hope Georgina will re-emerge from her shattered shell with the help of Mrs Annesley. What happened in Ramsgate was too heavy a blow for a sheltered girl who had not come out in society then. I pray that she will be in a much better state than how I left her in when Bingley invited me to Netherfield.

I put a lot of thought and love in letters to my sister, which requires my utmost focus and concentration, yet Caroline seems to be judging me for every little thing. Can you just leave me alone to write my letter? Every time she tries to flatter Georgina or compliment me, I try not to roll my eyes.

"How delighted Miss Darcy would be to receive such a letter!" Tell me something I do not already know, would you? I know I dote too much on Georgina.

"You write uncommonly fast." What an interesting observation, Caroline. Pray, do you not have anything better to say?

"How many letters you must have occasion to write in the course of a year! Letters of business, too! How odious I should think them!" I wish I could simply ignore her, but I have no choice but to show her due respect as hostess.

"Pray tell your sister that I long to see her." That is already the third time you have said that! Although I only told Georgina once, it is not my fault that Georgina does not long to see you.

"I am afraid you do not like your pen. Let me mend it for you. I mend pens remarkably well." Excuse you, I have been using this pen for the last five years and I certainly do not find any problem with it. I would rather not entrust any of my belongings to you, Caroline. And mending pens is not one of the qualities an accomplished woman should possess in my opinion, so stop embarrassing yourself.

"How can you contrive to write so even?" What kind of trivial questions are these? I decided to keep quiet to see if she would continue to bug me if I refused to answer.

"Tell your sister I am delighted to hear of her improvement on the harp; and pray let her know that I am quite in raptures with her beautiful little design for a table, and I think it infinitely superior to Miss Grantley's." Pray, I truly have no care for what you think! A pity that my subdued reply did my anger no justice.

I thought that would finally silence her, but nay, she continues to ask me about my long letters. Then she comes to the conclusion that anyone who is comfortable with writing long letters can write very well. What logic is this? I do not see how this is a compliment at all. Instead, I find her statement utterly ludicrous, which further reinforces the point that she lacks true intellect. Unlike my Elizabeth!

I am happy to say that Bingley has come to my rescue again. Oh never mind, he is trying to insult my writing style. I take back my gratitude. At least his addition to the conversation distracts Caroline for a bit. She insults Bingley's messy handwriting to which he attributes to his rapid flow of ideas. And guess who speaks? I suppose she was itching for some conversation of sorts but the pitiful way that Caroline and I were engaging in must have been a source of private mockery for her.

"Your humility, Mr Bingley, must disarm reproof," said Elizabeth.

"Nothing is more deceitful than the appearance of humility. It is often only carelessness of opinion, and sometimes an indirect boast." I quickly answered, smiling at Bingley. I hope he understands that I do not wish to offend him. I am just using him as a subject of argument with Elizabeth.