Chapter 6

"Why are we to dine with the militia officers tonight, Bingley?" I protested after Bingley revealed the invitation sheepishly. I hate balls with a passion. But I hate surprise dinner parties even more.

"The regiment arrived in Meryton a few days ago and they would like to meet some of the gentlemen in the vicinity since they will remain there for the whole winter." Bingley explained patiently. He was used to tolerating my outbursts and objections so it did not affect his countenance one bit. Putting on a smile, he cried, "What is the harm enjoying the night with the company of officers? You do not have any scruples against the regiment, do you, Darcy?"

I remained silent. I did not have a solid reason but something was nagging at the back of my mind. Something about the regiment and militia officers pricked at me but I could not put a finger on it. Perhaps it was just my generalisation that every officer is as obnoxious as my cousin. Shaking away my thoughts, I resigned, "Alright, Bingley. I shall spend the night with you and a bunch of lovely officers."

Relieved that I finally relented, Bingley beamed and started scribbling a reply. I decided to find a book from his library until it was time for us to leave. On the way to the library, I passed by an ajar door. Without peeking in, I already knew who was, or in fact, were inside the room.

"Is this not such a brilliant plan, Louisa?" I could not help but cringe at Caroline's high-pitched voice.

"Indeed, Caroline. I would love to get to know Miss Jane Bennet more. Pray, why should you pick a day when Charles and Mr Darcy would be dining out with the officers?"

"Upon my word, my dear sister is a goose! Of course, Jane is a sweet lady but her family is a whole different bunch, I dare say. Nay, encouraging the acquaintance of Charles and Jane Bennet will ruin all our lives!"

"What do you mean by that, Caroline? Explain yourself or I will tell Charles of your intentions for Mr Darcy." Gulping, I forced myself to remain calm and not rush into the room to strangle Caroline.

"You blind cow! Have you not seen Mrs Bennet at the Meryton Assembly? She is solely driven by her obsession with money and marrying her daughters off. Jane is simply following her mother's bidding to charm our brother and take advantage of his wealth, I dare say."

"How can you accuse Miss Jane Bennet to be so? I cannot pretend to be more than just acquaintances with the fine lady but I am positive that she will not stoop to such a level just to appease her mother and secure her future!"

"Forget it, Louisa. Since we do not see eye to eye on this matter, there is no point in arguing. I urge you not to be too attached to this Jane Bennet or give our brother any false hope which can only result in greater pain eventually." Caroline was definitely smirking in there like she was so confident that everything will turn out as she expected. Pray, I wonder why Caroline is still left on the rack after being out for so long? A scraping of the chair signalled that it was time to go before I got caught. I started walking off as Louisa stormed out, almost bumping into me.

"I am sorry, Mr Darcy. I...I was not looking where I was going." Louisa stammered and blushed. Speaking with loud voices, how could you expect me not to have overheard your little banter? Regardless, I nodded and she hurried off quickly. I decided to hurry off to the library but alas, my name was called out by Caroline who suddenly appeared at the door.

"Mr Darcy! I did not expect you to be here. Come in, I have some good news to share with you." Blast, the odds are not in my favour today. I dragged my feet into the room and took the seat opposite Caroline. She had a sickly smile on her face and gestured to the half-written letter on the table between us. What game is she playing at? I hesitantly picked up the letter and read it.

"MY DEAR FRIEND,—

If you are not so compassionate as to dine to-day with Louisa and me, we shall be in danger of hating each other for the rest of our lives, for a whole day's tete-a-tete between two women can never end without a quarrel. Come as soon as you can on receipt of this."

Was this letter to who I think it is? I looked up and saw that she was glowing with satisfaction. I need to get out of here now.

"Who is the recipient of this invitation?"

"Can you not take a guess? There can only be so few people whom I would honour to dine with us."

I did not come here for this. Disgusting, arrogant woman. I growled impatiently and turned on my best glare towards her. I have no patience to humour you, Caroline.

Sensing my temper, she quickly stated, "It is to Jane Bennet, of course. Louisa and I would love to know her better and what could be better than inviting her over to dinner?"

"What a coincidence that you picked a day when Bingley and I would be dining out. Pray, do not hog Miss Bennet to yourselves. What about poor Bingley?" I smirked. Your gig is up, Caroline. I am not such a fool to miss out on the games you have been playing behind your brother's back.

She blinked at me, speechless for a few moments and coloured. Regaining her composure, she smiled, nay, she actually had the gall to smirk and said, "Indeed, what a pity Charles would miss her company. Do not worry, Mr Darcy, there will be many balls requested by her sisters that would ensure their chances of meeting again. In the meantime, I would end my letter noting the unfortunate circumstances so Jane and her family would not get any wrong notions about this dinner."

Damn, her family! If Caroline had half the mind to extend the invitation to the whole Bennet family, I might just have a reason to stay at home and entertain our guests... But it cannot do. It is impossible. No, you stand a chance, Darcy. You are rich, well-bred and gentlemanly. You can have anyone you wish. Yet she...

"Mr Darcy?" Caroline was poised above the letter with her pen in her hand.

"May you allow me some privacy to finish this letter?" She has turned back to nice sweet Caroline in such a short moment.

"Of course. Enjoy your dinner with Miss Bennet." I stood up abruptly and produced the same scraping sound.

"May I ask you for a favour, Caroline?" I turned back at the door.

"Speak and I'll give you anything you wish." Caroline gave me a coy smile and I spoke before her mind started wandering to places where I would never be caught dead with her.

"Fix that chair opposite you. It is getting too noisy for my liking." Caroline's jaw dropped open. Smirking in contentment, I skipped to the library. The sight of Caroline gaping was indeed a worthwhile repayment for the time I spent cooped up inside with her.