Chapter 8

At half-past six, we were all gathered in the dining parlour for dinner. I usually dread meal times as it was one of Caroline's favourite times to irritate me, yet today it was going to be more bearable. While Bingley questioned Elizabeth regarding Miss Bennet, I noticed the slight hunch of her shoulders and the distant look in her eyes. Looking after her sister all day must have worn her out emotionally more than physically, I dare say. I do admire such close ties between sisters, comparing Elizabeth with another lady who never shows any respect to her siblings.

"I am sorry to grieve you further, Mr Bingley, but Jane is by no means better." Elizabeth shook her head sadly.

"Oh! I am so sorry to hear that, Eliza! It is shocking that Jane would have caught such a bad cold from a little rain but I dare say falling sick is such a dreadful thing indeed!" Caroline cried out. Elizabeth and Bingley both frowned at her for interrupting their conversation the third time already.

Ignoring Caroline, Bingley continued engaging Elizabeth in light conversation throughout dinner. I am glad for it allowed Elizabeth a relief from Caroline's condescension, yet I had to pay the price. For the rest of dinner, I was the main target of Caroline's attentions. I envied Louisa who could quietly enjoy her meal without disturbances or even Mr Hurst who did not have to entertain women anymore.

When dinner was over, Elizabeth cursied and excused herself to return directly to Jane. As expected, Caroline started her daily rambles regarding our unwelcomed guest. I would suggest this idle woman to find better things to expend her energy, yet I would not deign myself to start a conversation with her.

"She has nothing, in short, to recommend her, but being an excellent walker. I shall never forget her appearance this morning. She really looked almost wild." Louisa added fuel to Caroline's fire.

"She did, indeed, Louisa. I could hardly keep my countenance. Very nonsensical to come at all!" Caroline beamed at her sister and complained about Elizabeth's hair and her petticoat.

"Your picture may be very exact, Louisa. But this was all lost upon me. I thought Miss Elizabeth Bennet looked remarkably well when she came into the room this morning. Her dirty petticoat quite escaped my notice." Bingley said as I nodded in encouragement. Fair words indeed!

"You observed it, Mr Darcy, I am sure. And I am inclined to think that you would not wish to see your sister make such an exhibition." Upon my word, did Caroline notice me staring at Elizabeth most intently? I would not want Georgie to stain her petticoat or mess up her hair, yet Elizabeth does look much more vibrant as such. Her appearance is definitely no cause of worry for me.

"Certainly not." I was certainly not going to give Caroline an insight of my growing admiration for Elizabeth.

"I am afraid, Mr Darcy, that this adventure has rather affected your admiration of her fine eyes." Pray, why must you repeatedly bring that up? Are you so jealous of a single compliment to her eyes? Since you have mentioned it so blatantly, I am not sorry to have crushed your expectations.

"Not at all, they were brightened by the exercise." A short pause followed and I was happy for the silence present only in Caroline's state of shock until Louisa started a new subject of conversation.

"I have an excessive regard for Miss Jane Bennet, she is really a very sweet girl, and I wish with all my heart she were well settled. But with such a father and mother, and such low connections, I am afraid there is no chance of it." I have never thought Louisa capable of outright humiliation. Caroline must have possessed her by slipping laudanum into her tea.

"If they had uncles enough to fill all Cheapside, it would not make them one jot less agreeable." Bingley cried, interrupting his sisters' cackling.