Mission To Wave

Sasuke glared at Tazuna as he insulted Naruto, again. They were traveling to Wave, the same as last time, with pace slow enough that a tortoise could outpace them. Despite that and lying about the mission, Tazuna had the guts to insult Naruto again and again. Had he been like this last time, too?

"If you don't shut up, you don't have to worry about bandits, Tazuna. I'll take pleasure in killing you." he told him.

"Maa, we don't threaten to kill the client Sasuke, no matter how much they irritate us. Tazuna-san, don't worry, Sasuke won't kill you." Kakashi said, without looking up from his book.

"What's got your panties in a bunch, teme?" Naruto asked, in his ever eloquent manner.

It was true Sasuke was in a mood since they had got this mission. He had thought that with all the changes that he had made in their team dynamics and training, Naruto wouldn't get impatient enough to demand this mission from the Sandaime. But apparently Sasuke had the luch of a rotten tomato and they had got the exact same mission. He hadn't been able to form any excuses that would get them out of it.

Not that he was afraid of facing Zabuza. He knew he could easily defeat him. He just didn't want to show his abilities to Kakashi, who was already suspicious of him and tried his best to keep Naruto away from him.

They passed the same puddle they had last time and Sasuke readied himself. He wouldn't let Naruto get hurt this time.

Soon enough, the Demon Brothers came out of the puddle and sent their chains towards Kakashi, Sasuke quickly threw four kunai in succession, which after ricocheting with each other were buried in the missing ninja's skulls.

There was a moment of silence, before Kakashi said, "Good work, Sasuke. Although, try to aim for capture next time. Now we wouldn't know who they were after." His voice was a little strained, probably remembering Itachi's skill in shuriken-jutsu.

Naruto and Sakura were looking understandably green after witnessing their first murder.

They continued onwards and reached the island after a boat ride. The mist was thick and Sasuke was anticipating Zabuza's attack. He had decided to let it play out the same as last time. Kakashi would surely send him to T and I, if he defeated one of the seven swordsmen, as a genin.

It did played out the same as last time, except that his shuriken actually hit Zabuza instead of him completely dodging him. It would give Kakashi an advantage in their next fight.

They reached Tazuna's house with an unconscious Kakashi and Sasuke told Naruto to set up an perimeter around the house. Just because nothing happened last time, didn't mean he would pass off an opportunity to teach them about proper mission protocols, even though it was Kakashi's job.

It was late in the night when Naruto walked up to him, and opened his mouth before closing it again.

The Dobe was hesitating about saying something?

"What is it, Naruto?"

"How did you do it? Kill those ninjas?"

"With shuriken-jutsu. Do you wish to learn?" It would be a bit difficult, since Naruto never had much of an aim.

"No. I mean, how did you kill them? Did you.... I.... I don't think I'll be able to do it." he whispered the last part.

Oh.

"Then don't." he told Naruto. "You don't have to kill if you don't want to. You heard Kakashi sensei, there are ways to capture enemies. You don't have to become something you're not to give the illusion of being stronger."

Naruto gave him a small smile at that. A real one. Not one of the fake grins he usually wore. "Thanks, Sasuke."

"Anytime." he responded, honestly.

A week passed. Kakashi had them practicing water walking as all three of them already knew tree waking. Naruto exhausted himself on the last day, leading to him sleeping in and they left for the bridge without him.

Kakashi and Zabuza had a pissing contest, then Kakashi told him to fight the masked in, whom he had already captured in a genjutsu. Sasuke didn't give him the time to put up his ice mirrors and promptly knocked him out.

Kakashi's fight with Zabuza continued, and Naruto entered just in time to see Zabuza defeated.

Gato made his entry and explained his ridiculous plan to con his hired ninja, which Zabuza took offences to, and decimated his army, without dying this time. He took the ice user's prone form and promptly disappeared.

Naruto had apparently made friends with the ice user, whose name was Haku, and was sad that he didn't get to say goodbye.

The bridge was again named 'The Great Naruto Bridge', because Naruto's ability to inspire people couldn't get disrupted by something as lowly as butterfly effect.