Looking Forward

Returning from Tetsu no kuni along with the Hokage's entourage, Sasuke watched as the gates of Konoha came into view. He ideally wondered that this was about the same time that Naruto would have returned to the village in the original timeline. It seemed like a strange coincidence, he mused as he watched the smiling faces of Naruto, Itachi and Kakashi waiting at the gates to welcome them back.

Naruto's original return home had started a new chapter in his life. Maybe it would be the same for Sasuke.

Unfortunately, Sasuke had reached a point where he could no longer predict any events in the future with any confidence. He had changed things too much for the original timeline to still be viable. The Akatsuki being angrier and more hostile, Danzo's death, and the jinchuriki being safer, were only few of the many changes introduced to the timeline because of him.

There were a few dark moments when Sasuke wondered if his meddling would somehow cause them to lose the war they had originally won against impossible odds, only because of sheer dumb luck; but those doubts would disappear whenever he saw Naruto's blinding smile and twinkling eyes.

It didn't matter what he had changed. They were much stronger than they were originally. They knew what was coming. They were prepared anything.

'Let the new chapter begin then', he thought to himself as he broke formation to rush to Naruto, ignoring Tsunade's screams to get back, 'Sasuke was ready.'

AN: Shippuden would continue in the sequel- "The Maelstrom to his Inferno."