A Nara's Perogative

Shikamaru observed as Uchiha Sasuke being fretted over by his brother anxiously. Not that he was obvious about it. But Shikamaru, being smarter than most, knew how to pick up subtle cues, especially if the other party wasn't trying too hard to hide them. He was surprised at the amount of concern shown and tolerated, given the history between those two.

Shikamaru didn't like being surprised. As a Nara, he prided himself on his ability to predict possible scenarios. But Sasuke had done nothing but surprise him, ever since the day of team selection 3 years ago. His sudden shift in attitude, increased interest in Naruto, and rapid surge in abilities, initially led Shikamaru to suspect him being replaced by a decoy. Though, upon further observation, he didn't a change in base personalities. 

The further revelation of Uchiha Itachi being innocent of the massacre of his clan, and about Danzo's machinations, threw more doubt on Shikamaru's suppossed predictions. Knowing that his father wasn't as aware about the mystery of Uchiha massacre as he pretended to be, did nothing to lift Shikamaru's spirits. Apparently, he had slacked off a little too much.

This was the reason that Shikamaru had volunteered to obtain the mission report from Sasuke, while he was indisposed in the hospital. He had a hunch that figuring out Sasuke was the key to unraveling this string of surprises.

Unsurprisingly, both the Uchihas had noticed his presence and were waiting for him to announce himself. He hesitantly entered the room, knowing he had interrupted a private moment.

"Are you well enough to give a verbal report?" ,he asked, lazily.

Sasuke scoffed. "I have been perfectly capable of giving a report since the moment I returned to Konoha."

Itachi raised an eyebrow at that. "Really, little brother? I wasn't aware you were capable of giving reports while unconscious."

This caused Sasuke to scowl and turn to Shikamaru. "You didn't have to come here. I am well enough to go to the tower now."

"Against Tsunade-sam's orders?" Shikamaru was quick to point out.

Sasuke didn't have a reply to that.

An hour later, Shikamaru left with a mission report, and more questions that answers. Judging by his haphazard report, Sasuke had more experience giving mission reports than he should, but it was of a more unorderly and amateur style, not the standard Konoha format. Furthermore, while Sasuke obviously cared for his brother (the sentiment being returned), the way his eyes tracked Itachi whenever he went out of his visual field, told that trust was still an issue between the brothers. Which should be expected, given that Sasuke wasn't aware of Itachi being a spy and had spent years of his life hating the man, except that Sasuke wasn't mature or confident enough to be around someone he doesn't trust. Neither should he be able to withstand the torture methods applied on him by the Akatsuki ( which wasn't hollow boasting as his wounds matched up to his story).

Just what had happened to the Uchiha Sasuke he knew in the Academy to make him grow up so much, so fast?