Snake Bait

"You want me to do what?" Sasuke couldn't contain the incredulity in his tone.

"Play snake bait." Tsunade answered bluntly, while Sakura tried to hide her amusement, unsuccessfully. This was one of the few times Sasuke actually missed Itachi these days. His brother definitely would have voiced his concerns over this stupid plan. Unfortunately for Sasuke, Itachi was god knew where with his ANBU team, on the mission to systematically getting rid of Akatsuki.

Sasuke's time with Orochimaru was something he wished to be permanently bleached from his brain. He didn't like to remember that he had been once desperate enough to wear that god awful outfit. It definitely wasn't an experience he cared to repeat. Unfortunately, Tsunade had other ideas.

"Orochimaru has been sending teams to capture you for years. He is obviously very interested in capturing you. This is the perfect opportunity for Konoha to uncover his bases." The Hokage continued, ignoring Sasuke's rapidly paling face. "You will be accompanying Team 10 on an escort mission to the Land of Sound. Orochimaru would not resist the bait that close to home."

Before Sasuke could claim that he already knew about all of Orochimaru's hideouts, and dig himself a deeper hole, he was physically dragged from the Hokage office by his unknowingly ever helpful pink haired teammate.

"Let me go, Sakura." He growled, trying unsuccessfully to free himself from her grip. "I don't care what the hag says, I'm not playing bait for that creep."

Still not releasing her grip, Sakura answered, "First of all, that hag is your Hokage. It's your job description to do as she says. Secondly, don't let her hear you call her that. Her leniency exists only to Naruto on this matter, for some reason. And thirdly, think of this mission this way, Naruto is currently in the Land of Sound with Jiraiya-sama, trying to find Orochimaru's bases. Guess who is going to be your backup after you let yourself be captured for the greater good of Konoha?" She finished, waggling her eyebrows suggestively.

Sasuke ceased his struggle at that. That was a pretty good incentive. It had been quite a few he had seen Naruto at the Suna chunnin exams. And Naruto coming to rescue him at Orochimaru's hideout would be trip down the nostalgia lane. He kind of missed those days of Naruto chasing after him.

He had already killed Orochimaru once, he could do it again. It wasn't like he was in any real danger of being given the hickey again.

"Sure, why not?" He answered Sakura, trying to ignore the manic gleam in her eyes. "What could go wrong ?"

He was so going to regret those words later.