6• Monster

The sun rays hit my eyes and it took me a few moments to adjust with the sunlight. I felt someone leaning against me. I looked to the other side and that was when realization hit me. I fell asleep in his arms yesterday and I was still in his arms.

I immediately got up from the couch and my neck hurt. Feeling the movement Manik too got up. "Aahhh..." He held his head and opened his eyes slowly.

"Why is it hurting so much?" Manik said as he massaged his temple.

"Obviously it would hurt, you got drunk last night." I said, running my fingers through my messy hair.

He just hmmm but as soon as the realization hit him. He got up with a jerk and ended up leaning against the wall due to last night's hangover.

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"'What' shouldn't be your question but instead you should be thankful to me." I said, looking at him.

"Why should I be thankful to you?" Manik asked, trying to remember what had happened last night. Seriously he doesn't even remember. Ghajani kahi ka.

"Hey you emptied a glass of wine on me." Manik snapped. He smelled his cloth and I knew the smell was still there. This is what you get for messing with me. I mentally smirked.

"I stink right now. Thanks to you." Manik complained as he massaged his temple with one hand while he used his other hand to push me and get out of the balcony.

"Hey don't you think you should thank me." I reminded him as I blocked his way.

"For what? As far as I remember I need to take revenge on you." He pushed me aside and entered the bathroom. He was about to lock the door but I kept my foot in between and pushed the door.

"Thank me first." I almost ordered him. I wasn't letting him go without getting my thank you.

"Not even in your dreams baby." He said as he too pushed the door. I too wasn't giving up. I pushed the door with all my strength but how could the monster not do anything?

He stepped aside and the next moment I was thrown inside as the door flung open. I was in the phase of falling down but however I grabbed his shoulder and prevented my fall.

I stepped a bit away from him and glared at him with anger on the tip of my nose. And the sound of his laughter was boiling me up even more. This annoying Monster.

I looked around and witness a bucket full of water. Without even giving it a second thought I emptied the bucket on him.

"What the." Manik shouted.

"Don't mess with me Mr.Malhotra." I gritted my teeth and crossed my arms around my chest.

"Nandiniii." Manik screamed, glaring at me. I turned around to leave but within a moment, Manik took the pipe from the floor and turned on the tap, making me completely wet.

"Manikkk." I seriously want to kill him. I turned around to see him smirking. I tried taking the water pipe from his hand but he stretched his hand in the upward direction. Huff! Why is he so tall?

I looked around to see a half filled bucket of water. I picked it up and threw the whole water on Manik.

"Don't mess with Nandini." I said, raising my invisible collar.

"You are not getting away so easily." Manik said. Seeing his face I understood that now Manik wasn't in mood to leave me. I turned around to leave but Manik back hugged me and trapped me. His hot breath fanned in my shoulder, giving me goosebumps.

My stupid heart had changed it's beating once again. Why does this monster affect me?

My eyes automatically squeezed shut while my heartbeat thumped against the ribcage. I felt a different feeling in his arms.

Hell no! I can't have any kind of feelings for this monster.

In between all this I didn't even realise when Manik had pushed me into the shower and turned it on. The cold water hit my face but instead of cooling my anger, it boiled me up even more.

He is not getting away so easily. I got hold of his hand and tried pulling him but I slipped. My eyes shut close in fear. Right then I felt two pairs of strong arms around my waist.

I opened my eyes only to meet his. His orbs were chocolate brown and I could feel myself drowning in his eyes.

I shouldn't be feeling such things. I immediately got out of his hold and pushed him before walking out of the washroom.

"Hey." I heard him calling me but I felt awkward.

"I am going home." I said in a haste, without even stopping my steps but right when I was about to step out of his apartment I felt a cloth drape around my shoulder.

I turned around to see him, all wet and I hate to say this but he looked like a hot mess right now.

Chucking away my thoughts I looked at the cloth draped around my shoulder which was actually his long coat.

"Wear it. You might catch cold." He said and left.

He first fights with me, then pushes me into the shower and then he is the one to give me this. Geez why is he so confusing?

A week later

Draped in a heavily embellished red lehenga with subtle makeup, traditional jewellery and lots of bangles which almost covered my hands, I looked at myself in the mirror. I so hate this heavy dress and especially it's extra heavy duppatta.

The Pandit ji don't know for what Graha..daasa reason had preponed the marriage date and just because of that pandit I had to take an emergency one week leave from the hospital.

My grandmum in her extra sugary tone had said,"Nandini take one month leave so that you can spent more time with damad ji and get to know his household." But being away from hospital is like a punishment for me. I love my work a lot.

"Your mehendi color has turned dark. This means Jiju will love you a lot." One of my cousins said and giggled.

I looked at the color and it's color had indeed turned dark. Tracing his word over my mehendi pattern, I couldn't help but think who had spread such false rumors. "That monster would love me" not even in his dreams.

I couldn't believe I was soon going to be Mrs. Nandini Manik Malhotra. Just few more minutes.

***