8• Cliché moments

I was struggling to make the pleats of my saree from the past half an hour but it wasn't working. Wearing a saree isn't so easy after all. Sigh! Why can't we simply put on jeans and shirt?

I was getting pissed every passing second, even the tutorial video wasn't helping me much. I want to throw this saree now.

Irritatedly I stomped my foot and the pleats slipped from my hand. It's so damn annoying. Right then I heard the door click. I turned my head to see Manik, all ready in his jeans and coat. It's so easy to be a boy.

"You are still struggling with that saree." Manik heaved a slow breath, seeing me.

"Wearing a saree isn't a piece of cake." I replied.

Without saying anything, he came towards me and held the extra fabric of the saree and started making pleats, one at a time, using his thumb and forefinger. Woahh he knows how to wear saree. I can't believe he made the pleats so neatly.

"Hold this." He said, handing me the pleats. He then came on his knees and pinned it up after making sure the pleats were straight and even.

He then slowly tucked the pleats onto my petticoat. As his fingers brushed against my belly button, I could feel this tingling sensation.

He took a step forward towards me and my breath hitched on throat. He then took a safety pin and slowly pinned my pallu onto my shoulder. While his eyes had been fixed on my shoulders, my eyes were fixed on him and he was very close to me. My heart thumped against my chest. This was probably the first time I noticed him from so close.

What is happening to me?

He stepped away from me and smiled looking at me. "All done. This saree looks so beautiful because of my perfect skills in draping the saree. I am so multi talented." He self praised, snapping me out of my world.

"By the way Mr. Multi talented I didn't need your help." I said as I walked past him.

I looked at myself in the mirror and I realized saree really suited me. The pallu wasn't slipping off my shoulder and I was just glad about that otherwise the pallu just wouldn't let me do anything.

"Don't you think you should thank me."

"I didn't ask you to help me." I said as I looked at him through the mirror. Oh come on I won't be thanking him so easily.

"You are so ungrateful." He complained.

"Look who's saying?" Right then the door clicked and Cabir peeked his head through the half opened door.

"Manik if you are done staring at Nandini then please come down, the rituals are about to begin." Cabir said.

"I am not staring at her." Manik contradicted.

"I am not saying this all. Nyonika aunty said this all to me." Cabir showed his teeth. "But it isn't like I don't agree with her." Cabir said to which Manik rolled his eyes.

"Whatever." Manik left the room with Cabir after sometime. I then wore the red bangle, fastened the nuptial chain around my neck and filled my hairline with vermilion, before leaving the room.

As I descended downstairs I realized a lot of eyes were on me. A lot of unknown faces, which were obviously of his relatives, were staring at me and I felt odd and nervous.

I looked at Manik who was just few stairs down me, having a heated up conversation with Cabir on don't know what rubbish topic.

I took a step down but ended up losing my balance due to heels. My eyes shut close all ready to kiss the ground but instead of the ground I felt a pair of strong arms around my waist. I opened my eyes only to meet his chocolate brown orbs.

"Just one more minute." Cabir said and both our heads turned to him to see him clicking our photo.

" Cabir said and both our heads turned to him to see him clicking our photo

Manik immediately kept me back on my feet. "Be careful." He said, feeling totally awkward.

I looked around to see a few eyes on us. Oh god it's so embarrassing. "This pictures are just so perfect." Cabir gushed over the photos just like a girl.

"Cabir delete them." Manik stepped forward to take his phone but Cabir pushed his phone into his pocket and nodded his head in 'no' "It's my Insta's story today."

"Cabir please delete them." I too stepped forward.

"Delete it." Manik too seconded.

"Manik Nandini come here." Right then Nyonika aunty called and Cabir smiled victoriously, signaling us to go.

"It's all because of you." Manik blamed me as we walked towards Nyonika aunty.

"You can't put all the blame in me." I back answered.

"What are two discussing about?" Nyonika aunty asked and we just smiled, nodding our head in nothing.

Nyonika aunty then explained that the ring finding ceremony was left and after that we had to go for pagphera rasam. And tonight was our reception. Sigh! a long day to go.

I sat beside Manik and in few minutes we were surrounded by his relatives. We were about to begin the ring ceremony in which the one who would find the ring first from the bowl of milk would be the winner.

"Start!"

We both dipped our hands in the milk. Everyone started cheering either for him or me. I roamed my hand around and at one point I spotted the ring but at the same time my hands collided with his. Oh shit! he too found it.

But I am not going to let him win.

I caught his hand before he could get the ring. I traced his knuckles with my thumb and slowly held his hand. I could feel his body stiffening. He looked at me and I smirked as I got the ring. I pulled my hand out and everyone cheered.

"Nandini won this round." Alya declared, clapping happily.

"Cheater." I heard Manik mumble and I smirked. By hook or crook I can't let him win.

"Oh come on Manik. My pride is at stake you must win this." Cabir patted Manik's shoulder.

"But I doubt if you have any pride." Mukti hit him on his shoulder from the back and Cabir winced in pain.

Cabir glared at her while she wrapped her arms around his. I sometimes doubt if they are dating by any chance. They look cute together, don't they?

"Let's begin the next round." Someone declared and I immediately dipped my hand in the milk.

I roamed my hand around. This time he held my hand and squeezed it. It hurt. I tried freeing my hand but he squeezed it harder and I had to pull my hand out.

In the mean time he found the ring. I glared at him and he gave me his not so innocent smile. "Tit for tat." He came a bit closer and whispered.

He is such a jerk. I gritted my teeth in anger. Just wait and watch what I do in the third round.

****