13 // i get a spot on the lacrosse team unwillingly

The next day after we'd learned that everyone who was at the party was in danger (that's what Scott had said) Liam, Mason, and I sat in the school's library talking about what we should do. Mason had found a program that locates the lightning ratings in Beacon Hills.

"So, The Hunt uses lightning to get past mountain ash and when we know that there's lightning, we know The Hunt is coming." I say, trying to get the plan straight. Liam nodded in conformation.

"Guys..." Mason suddenly says and turns his laptop to where we could see the sudden spike in lightning rates.

"They're coming." Liam mumbles.

"Tonight." I add. "What do we do?"

"We fight them off." Liam says casually.

"No, we hide the people at the party underground. The earth will collect lightning before it can go underground." Mason says. I knee Mason was right, we didn't have any clue how to hurt The Hunt. But I was afraid that Liam would get mad at me if I agreed with Mason over him. The boys looked at me for an opinion... I hesitated.

"Okay... What if we hide the people at the party somewhere underground and if The Wild Hunt shows up we can attempt to fight them off." I say and the boys slowly nod.

***

I was walking through the hallway when I saw Hayden standing impatiently outside of the girl's restroom. I walked over to her.

"What are you doing?" I ask her and she sighs. I was starting to like her, now that she wasn't dating the boy I'd fallen for.

"I'm making sure my friend doesn't get taken, her name's Gwen." Hayden says and I nod.

"I just... I wanted to say sorry for being so rude to you. I-I just have trust issues... Ever since I went...away." I say and look down at my shoes and fiddle with my fingers.

"It's okay...Why exactly did you go away Kylie?" Hayden asks and I tense up. I'd been here for almost a week and nobody had asked me why I'd went away. I knew it was just a matter of time until I had to come clean.

"Um, I'll tell you one day. I'm just not ready yet..." I say and look at my newly discovered friend. Hayden nods.

"Okay, I get it." Hayden says and I smile.

***

We ended up using Chris Agent's bunker. It took a long time for us to convince everyone that they were in danger, especially Nathan. But we finally got everyone into the bunker. Except a four people were missing, all lacrosse players who must've been stubborn and stayed to play our game that we had tonight.

"I'll go find them, you guys stay here. " Scott says but Liam stops him.

"I'm coming." Liam says.

"Me too." I add and so do Corey and Mason.

"You guys are marked, just stay here." Scott says.

"We might be marked but we couldn't take one of those things last night, who knows how many might be at the game." Liam says and I nod in agreement.

"Yeah and I can see them." Corey adds. Scott hesitates but I could tell that he was about to agree.

"Fine, but if you see one...run."

***

So we ran to the school and into the locker room hoping to catch the team before they go out onto the field...but we were a bit late.

"Nobody's here." I state the obvious. We were about to go run out onto the field when the coach suddenly walked in cursing under his breath. When he looked up at us, he looked angry but in a way he looked just as relieved.

"There you are! You're late! Get onto the field!" Coach yelled and blew his whistle then turned to me. "Stilinski! These boys talk fondly of you, so take the place of the absence of half of the team!"

I try to decline but before I could say anything the coach throws a jersey at me then blows his whistle and walks off.

"I guess the only way to protect the team is to play the game." Scott says and I look at him.

"I don't know how to play lacrosse!" I yell, getting the boys' attention. I didn't have much of a choice whether to play or not... So I just went with it.

***