Oneshot: Todd x Reader|| Here's to Second Place {Edited}

Here's to Second Place

Your Point of View

"Attention students this is your principal, I'm sorry for this interruption, but I would like to let everyone know that three weeks from now we will be having a science fair. The fair is being funded by a local college, who will be giving out a scholarship to the first place winner! If you're interested please sign up at the bulletin board in the main hall. That is all."

For the first time I was actually interested in what the principal had to say. I was actually pretty good at science, (A/N if not, you are now, mate) and since my family wasn't the richest, that scholarship would be amazing. If I could get a college degree and I would be able to provide for my family.

My mind was set on entering the science fair, so the second the bell rang I was up and out the door. I sped walked all the way to the bulletin board, to find some people had already signed up. When I reached for the pen and another hand grabbed it.

I followed the hand up I found it connected to a boy I knew very little about. His name was Todd and he hung out with the 'Freaks' of the school as many called them. I never minded them, always saw them as just normal people.

Realizing I still had my hand in the pen I let go and he brought it up, signed the sheet, then handed the pen to me. I signed my name and then looked at Todd who was still standing there.
"You're Todd, right?" I seemed to almost startle him, like I took him out of a trance.

"O-oh yes, umm and you're (Y/N)." I nodded to him,
" We have next period together, right?" This time he nodded, so I continued, "Want to walk together?"

"Sure, why not..." We had Mrs. Packerton for our next class, he actually didn't sit to far away from me.

"Sooooo," I started, not wanting to walk in silence "Why'd you sign up for the science fair?"

"Science is... one of my strong suits... and a scholarship sounds nice." I nodded to his answer and said,
" Yeah, I'm kinda the same way, I really want that scholarship." We stopped just in front of Mrs. Packertons door and he turned to me with his hand out.

" May the best win." I took his hand and said sarcastically,
" Thanks, I will." We laughed a bit and went in.

One week later

I had my idea and design ready, all I had to do was build it. My idea was a portable water turbine, that when water is moving through it, energy is made. The test machines worked fine, I just needed a final project and a poster to go with it.

The whole week I'd been working on my generator, I couldn't get Todd out of my head. He was one of the smartest people I knew, so I was a little nervous that I'd lose to him. After we met at the bulletin board, we've talked just a bit more then normal. Casual conversations about how our work was going and etc. The way he talked, he had everything under control.

Todd's Point of View

I have nothing under control! I've had countless ideas, but all of them have failed. I've even considered borrowing the super gear boy from Sally Face, but I know it'd be against the rules. I thought I had this in the bag! I even lied to (Y/N)'s face! God I'm hopeless!

I held my face a let a long sigh leave my lips. I looked down at my watch to see the time.

[2:15 am]