Chapter 29

They were allowed back into her room. Well, Larry and Sal. Ash was passed out in the waiting room area. She was laying down on one of the couches where you would normally...wait...yeah. Anyways, Ash's eyes were red and puffy from crying. The boys knew Ash wanted to come and see Zhaen but after a bit they thought that maybe it wasn't a good idea. 

They went in a hour or so after Lisa had left the room. Telling them that everything was fine again and she left it at that. Larry was in deep thought. How could his mom just say everything was ok like that? Like it was something normal. Something that happens all the time. But then he sighed. It's a hospital. His mom is a softie and all but at some point she has to be used to what happens, and even though this was one of their friends, she shouldn't let something like this phase her like it would the families of the patients. 

Family.

"Hey Sal?" Larry started, "Where is Zhaen's family?" He said as he walked into her room. The thought has never dawned on any of them. She has never talked about them and they never brought them up. She only has pictures of some friends from before. Ash has told them about those pictures, but just enough for us to know who they were. 

"I don't know Larry. She lives on her own. So maybe..?" Sal was suggesting that her family was dead but he had no right to suggest that. All of the young adults live on their own. Or, they don't live with their parents. If anything, they have room mates. Except Ash, but Ash was always on the move. She is only home to sleep. 

"Maybe. Should...should we ask when she wakes up?" Larry says as he pulls up two chairs. One was already in the room but Larry had to go out and drag one from the waiting room. Sal sat in the more comfortable one while Larry paced around for a bit.

"I don't know. If you think about it, it's probably a sensitive topic. If it wasn't? Don't you think she would have talked about it by now? I mean, if it's not something bad to talk about then she could just blurt it out. But she didn't."

"Yeah, I understand that. But again, she was never one to talk about anything unless something relatable was being talked about. None of us really talked about our parents. I get why you wouldn't talk about your mom, but you don't even talk about your dad. I talk about my mom every now and then but that's just because I would sometimes remind her how things got better, I mean, they did for my mom."

"I don't talk about my family and neither does Todd. I don't know what the fuck is going on with Neil's family and Zhaen said Ash's family doesn't like her because of how much she curses. So I understand why they wouldn't be talked about."

"So overall," Larry said.

"Overall, my mom is dead and my dad is working all the time. Your dad is dead and your mom is barely in your life anymore. Todd's parents are pot heads and Neil is a mystery. Ash's are snobs." Sal said for him.

"So there was never a reason for family to even come up. Damn, I bet we look like assholes. We never even considered asking her about her family though, like, is it prying?" Larry sighed and ran his hand through his hair.

Sal went on to talk about how it wasn't rude but then stopped. He got up and walked over to Zhaen. He stopped next to her and looked over at Larry, "Dude, can she hear us?"

Larry looked confused and walked over. He saw Zhaen's facial expression has changed. When he came here earlier, she just looked like she was sleeping. Now she looked scared and in pain.

"I don't know. She shouldn't right? Isn't that how these coma things work?" Larry had failed to tell Sal about what happened earlier with the heart monitor and he thought it would be best to keep it to himself. He knew that Sal would believe him, even after what happened in the basement, but he still didn't want to bring it up. It might effect him worse then it did Larry.

"I don't know," Sal said as he put his hand on his prosthetic chin to look like he was thinking, "Why does she look like she's in pain though?" Sal said as he pointed to her face.

"I don't know Sal," Larry said, "Look though." 

Sal had to look where Larry was pointing because Zhaen's left hand was twitching a bit. It was barely noticeable, but Sal saw it.

"You think that's what's hurting?" Sal said as he looked back to Larry but he heard something fall and saw Larry was on his back on the floor. He looked like he had seen a ghost, which was weird, because he just saw a ghost in the basement.

"Larry? What happened?" Sal said as he knelt next to his boyfriend.

"N-Nothing...I just tripped." Larry said as he kept staring at nothing.

"Are you sure? You seem pretty fixated on something or nothing."

Larry nodded and got up. 

"It's nothing. But let's get going. We should go back home and check on the sad sack. Ash probably shouldn't stay the night either. It can't be good for her health."

"Sad sack?" Sal looked confused and Larry managed to smile and crack a laugh in the dense atmosphere.

"Todd. Todd was being a sad sack before I left the house. I invited him to come with us but he just laid in his bed and said nothing. He did nothing. He was just a breathing sad sack of nerdy blankets on the bed." 

Sal smiled and nodded, "Ah, that makes so much sense now. He has every right to be a sad sack. He is being blamed for what happened here. He got smacked by his best friend and he supposedly hurt his best friends girl friend. Wouldn't you be a sad sack if you hurt Neil?"

Larry shook his head, "No, because there is no fucking way in hell that I would even be able to lay a fucking hair on Neil. He is too big and if I were to try to hurt Todd? Fucking Neil would murderlize me! So! NO! I WOULDN'T!" Larry yelled that last part and made his way out of the room, "Using Neil was a bad example. If I hurt Ash? I would probably get my ass kicked but I would feel like an abused sad sack. But none of us can hurt Todd because Neil can fucking sense if Todd gets a papercut from a million miles away."

"Yeah, I guess it was a bad example." Sal says as he closes Zhaen's door. He watched as Larry picked up Ash and they said their good byes to Lisa before getting in the car. Larry promised his mom he would be back after school tomorrow and she said she would see him than.

He set Ash in the back of the car and Sal got in shot gun. He yawned and before he could get the door shut, Larry appeared and lifted his prosthetic and kissed the sleepy muffin. Sal smiled and kissed him back. Larry cupped Sal's face and kissed him deeper until he felt Sal's face get hot. He pulled away from the kiss and Sal whined.

"I gotta drive us home. Maybe tomorrow we can continue where we left off." 

"Or when we get home?" Sal suggested as he pulled his prosthetic back down. 

Larry laughed and shrugged. 

"Maybe, that doesn't sound too bad actually. Maybe we can do that before bed. We can both get ready for bed, sleep in the same bed, and maybe make out a little. How does that sound?" Larry said as he starts the car.

"Sounds like a date." Sal said as he yawned and soon passed out.