CHAPTER 32

ADAM'S POV:

I was standing rigid on my spot waiting for her next move. She threw me a small smile and started walking slowly in my direction.

"I knew she would pull the strings of your heart, she's precious like that." She said looking in the direction of the elevator where Savannah was standing a few minutes ago.

There was a look of longing in her eyes while her tone seemed distant.

"So you care now?" It came out harsher than I intended.

Her eyes snapped in my direction and widened. "Sh-she told you?" she asked still in shock.

I chuckled bitterly and shook my head.

"I overheard her conversation with your brother." I said and tears welled up in her eyes.

Amelia and crying? Not a chance.

A tear finally slipped and cascaded down her pink cheeks making me frown and step closer to her. No matter whatever happened, I don't think I can ever bring myself to see her hurt.

I wiped that tear away and she sniffled. "I'm sorry." she said quietly.

"Just take care of her, okay? Because we couldn't. She's a gem." she smiled sadly at the end.

I nodded at her proceeded to walk towards the meeting room.

"Adam." Frederick greeted.

"Frederick." I nodded at him.

"How's Savannah?" he asked.

"Perfect." I replied curtly.

Dad looked at me oddly but I brushed it off. 

"We're going for a family trip along with Ainsworth and Anna and Adrian." dad announces leaving me baffled.

"What? Where?" I asked.

"Bora Bora Island." he smirked.

"Why? Who's gonna handle the business here dad?" I asked and he rolled his eyes at me.

"It's just for a week, son. I'm pretty sure this corporation can run without you being here for seven days. Besides, Christmas is around the corner and Drew is also coming this Friday so we leave on Saturday." he smiled.

It's been a long time since I saw him smile like that if we don't count the times Savannah is around.

I nodded and left to sort out work for the rest of the day.

----

The clock struck seven thirty and I was almost done with my work when my phone rang, an unknown number flashing on the screen.

"Hello." I said picking up the phone.

"Long time." A voice I could recognize anywhere echoed.

"Ashton." I gritted out.

"What do you want?" I spat.

"Now, now Is that a way to greet your best friend?" he mocked.

"You lost that title years ago." I replied coldly.

He faked hurt and I rolled my eyes in annoyance.

"How's your wife? Savannah, was it?" he said and my jaw clenched.

"Don't take her name from your filthy mouth." my nostrils were flaring by now.

"Ah, what a gorgeous little doll she is." he kept spewing bullshit ignoring my previous warning.

"What the fuck do you want?" I roared in anger.

"I want you to keep your eyes on your wife, Avenetti. You have no idea how many men would die to bang that sweet body." and that was the last straw.

"You dare touch a single hair on her body and I'll fucking rip you to shreds." I said and hung up cutting his dark chuckle short and throwing the phone on the table.

Grabbing my belongings, I left the building and hurried towards my home. I needed to see her and make sure she was safe.

I reached the house in record time and practically flew out of the car towards the front porch. Unlocking the door, I ran towards her room and found it empty. I checked my room, nothing.

I next checked the kitchen but she wasn't there either. I ran a hand through my hair in frustration but something caught my eye.

Her phone. Resting on the counter top. My head whipped in the direction of the room behind the stairs and I rushed towards it.

Opening the door, I saw her sitting on the floor painting something on the canvas. She turned around and frowned. Probably at my disheveled state.

"Oh my God what's wrong with you?" she asked standing up and placing her supplies away.

She walked towards me but I met her halfway and hugged her as if she was my oxygen.

I nuzzled my face in her hair and inhaled deeply. The scent of rose engulfing me and calming my nerves.

She stood still for a while before her hands went around my shoulder and in my hair where her fingers worked their magic.

My eyes shut tightly and I pulled her impossibly close.

"What is it?" she asked softly. I pressed my face completely in her hair and her warm, soft lips pressed against my neck which caused electricity to traverse through my veins.

I didn't want to lose her. She's been through so much already and it was my duty to protect her. I was so scared he'd take her away from me and harm her just so that the sick bastard could watch me in pain.

She pressed another kiss to my neck then to my hair and then my ear and it instantly relaxed me.

"Come on, come with me." she said trying to pull away but I didn't let her.

"Ronan." she sighed softly. Ronan. She always called me that whenever we were together and alone.

I let her go reluctantly and she pushed us out the door coming to a stop when we reached the living room.

She nodded her heads towards the couch and I sat down frowning at the distance she's put between us.

"Tell me?" she asked softly, cupping my face and now sitting on her knees in front of me.

What should I tell her? That I was worried sick about her? That I want nothing more than to hold her throughout the night? Or better yet, my heart ached at the thought of something bad happening to her.

It's like ever since the day I came to know about her past life, a switch flipped inside of me. A primal urge to guard her under the wing of my safety.

A hand caressed my stubble breaking me out of my train of thoughts and I looked up to see her gazing at me with concern.

"A bodyguard will accompany you to wherever you go from tomorrow." I said.

She knitted her eyebrows and looked at me confused.

"Why?" she questioned.

"Because I said so." I frowned.

She licked her lips and nodded absentmindedly. My eyes flickered to her lips and in a flash, she was sitting on my lap while I was kissing her desperately.

She was shocked but I needed it right now. I needed to feel her.

A/N: Ainsworth is Nate's family.

Short chapter but the next chapter will be good, I promise!