Chapter 21

"I can't believe it really is almost over" Lily sighs to Dave and Butch.

"I know, I think we might even be done actually...a few more overdubs but no new basic recordings" Butch says, looking surprised himself that things were so close to being over.

Lily frowns. She had hoped Kurt would bring one more song to the session, but she supposed it was too personal and slow to add to the fast and heavy record.

"I guess so" She shrugs, grabbing Dave's pack of cigarettes.

Just then Kurt comes in holding an acoustic guitar, "Sorry I'm late I was just picking this up" He says and everyone is surprised.

"Oh?" Says Lily with a grin, he was going to record the song after all.

"Yeah, oh" He says, rolling his eyes at her but grinning all the while.

"I have one more song for us to record" He adds, sitting down on the couch next to Lily, "It's the one we wrote together"

Lily nearly chokes on her cigarette smoke, "I...that's an exaggeration" She stutters.

"No its not! You came up with the chorus and the name of the song" He counters

"Based on something you said to me!"

"So?" Kurt replies, still smiling at her unwillingness to take credit at all, "You also helped with nearly all the lyrics and with the chords"

"Is this the 'Something In The Way' song?" Asks Dave and Kurt nods, "Yeah I remember you two playing that around the house... that was really good."

Kurt turns to Lily again motions at Dave as if to say, see.

Lily just rolls her eyes, "Can we agree to disagree then?" She requests and he nods.

"Play it for me Kurt, I don't remember this one" Butch says just as Krist walks in too.

"Ok" Kurt says, clearing his throat.

He begins to play the song and then stops immediately after he messes up a note. He tries again and also messes it up in the first line.

"I'm playing it too hard, it has to be really soft and quiet." He murmurs, swearing under his breath. After one more failed attempt he looks up helplessly.

"Lily do you think you can play the guitar part for me?" He asks.

"Me?" She says with eyebrows raised.

"Yeah, you have a softer touch when you play and you know the song just as well as I do, it would help me out a lot" He says, giving her puppy dog eyes.

"Alright" She concedes.

She plays the song as Kurt sings softly, down at his feet at first and then looking up at her.

When they finish Kurt wraps his arm around her and kisses her cheek appreciatively.

"Thank you" He whispers, and she smiles up at him.

"Kurt that was amazing" Butch says with a huge grin on his face, "I've never heard anything like that from you before."

"Its all Lil" Kurt says and Lily gives him the finger.

"That was great" Krist adds, patting Kurt and Lily on the back and giving them a thumbs up.

"Thanks Krist" Lily grins, squeezing his hand.

"I think we should try to get that recorded today if you two are up for it" Butch says, messing with some buttons.

"Whoa, wait I didn't think I would be recorded" Lily says with wide eyes, "Kurt shouldn't you be the one playing it on the record?" She adds, turning to him.