An Elephant

"Okay can we just talk about the giant elephant that's been following us around for like weeks?" Max asked taking his spot across the table from Chelsea and I.

"What elephant?" I flipped open my notebook already disinterested in the conversation.

I had a test in my college math class and a paper to write for my psychology class, the house was a mess when I left this morning and I wasn't sure if I had enough time to catch up on the house and laundry before my class tonight.

"Uh how about the fact that Owen Savas is not only still hot but possibly even hotter now that he's in a wheelchair, he told me we were friends and he hasn't taken his eyes off of you." He explained. "In like days."

I rolled my eyes. "First of all, Owen wasn't and will never be hot and he isn't looking at me, not that it would matter if he was. And his friendship will never amount to ours."

I wasn't blind, Owen was hot. There was a reason he was one of the most popular guys in school. But I would under no circumstances ever give Max the satisfaction of agreeing with him.

"You know, his wheelchair does sort of make him hotter." Chelsea agreed. "It's like he was hot when he was perfect but now that he's not perfect he's in that category of hot damaged guys. Only you can see his damage."

Max and I were both staring at her as she rambled on, her eyes fixated on the back of Owen's chair. We were in the library for our fifth hour and apparently so was Owen's class.

"Yeah, I don't know about all that but I do know I'd gladly take a ride on his lap." Max said.

"You're both disgusting, he's obnoxious and pig headed and annoying just like he's always been."

"I think he likes you." Max continued.

"Have you forgotten he's dating Jaelyn? Ya know, his girlfriend?" I said sarcastically.

"Pfff." He waved his hand at me. "That'll change. Besides I saw her hooking up with Drew in his car."

"What?" Chelsea and I said in unison.

Max nodded his head, tapping his pen against the table as he glanced over his shoulder.

"I was leaving Smitty's with my mom like a week ago or something and I walk out and see Drew's Audi sitting in the parking lot." He kept his voice low as he talked. "I hadn't seen him in the party store which was weird right? Why else would he be parked in the lot."

"But did you actually seem them or are you just speculating?" I asked.

"Oh no, I'm following my mom to the car and Drew's car is like rocking right?"

"We don't need the gory details, Max." Chelsea scolded.

"Alright, alright. I definitely saw him getting laid by a chick that looked suspiciously like Jaelyn." He leaned closer, her name just a whisper on his lips.

I shook my head, annoyed I'd just sat through his gossip for no reason. Drew was known for hooking up with anyone with a pulse really. And it wasn't like there wasn't countless girls that had long brown hair like Jaelyn. Max had nothing.

"But you didn't actually see her?" Chelsea however was still invested.

"Well not while they were doing the deed. But as my mom pulled out they both got of the car." Max said. "It was Jaelyn."

I looked back up at Max as he said her name for the second time, this time absolutely confirming his earlier accusation. My eyes drifted to the back of Owen's head across the library.

I wouldn't say I felt sick about the whole thing. But it was pretty crappy for them to do. Even if it was Owen. Even if guys like him did that sort of stuff all the time.

Someone needed to at least tell him.

"Have you told him?" I asked, my gaze lingering on Owen a little longer before I settled back on Max.

"God I can't even imagine that conversation. They're like the golden couple." Chelsea commented. "It's going to break his heart."

Max scrunched up his face in confusion at Chelsea before answering me with a shake of his head. "No, I'm not about to do that. I'm just barely friends with Owen and Jaelyn. One or both will definitely hate me if I'm the reason they break up."

"The reason they'd break up is because she cheated not because you caught her." I explained annoyed.

"Oh my gosh, if he's heartbroken too." Chelsea rambled beside us. "He'll be like the leading man from a hallmark movie. All handsome and damaged and brooding."

Max and I just looked at her, our heads cocked, eyebrows knitted.

"What is wrong with you?" Max asked while I said "would you stop".

"What?" She asked innocently, her blue eyes wide.

"I don't even understand you." Max said.

"And what about...oh what's his name? Colby?" I asked.

"When did you start crushing on Owen? I thought that was my thing?" Max continued.

Chelsea shrugged, her cheeks flushing as she looked down at her paper. "I don't have a crush on Owen. But I'm not afraid to admit he's hot like someone else."

She shot me a look as she said the last part. I just rolled my eyes. I would never admit to anyone, even Chelsea, that Owen Savas was attractive. A guy like that does not need anyone to add to his already inflated and obnoxious ego.

"Don't try and turn this to me." I snapped.

"She's right." Max agreed thankfully. "What about Colby?"

Chelsea let out a sigh, tucking stray strands of her auburn hair behind her ear.

"Don't be shy now, you were just so eager to ramble a minute ago." I pressed.

Being the extra mature person she was, she stuck her tongue out at me. Max laughed, as I reached across and flicked her on the nose.

"I'm so glad that was you and not me for a change!" He yelled it, granting us everyone's attention in the library.

And I mean everyone's.

My gaze connected with a pair of chocolate brown eyes. My mind flashing back to the nurse's room, when all they seemed to be was kind and patient. I had to look away, the guilt of knowing his girlfriend was cheating on him already eating away at me.

I had to tell him.

————————

Who all came from Hearts, Scars & Horseshoes? Does anyone remember who Toby worked with at the cafe?