What Had I Just Done?

I was late for class.

My chest was heaving as I sprinted to the door with an extra fifty pounds on my back from my book bag. It bounced painfully on my shoulders.

The door to the class was already shut and I let out a frustrated sigh. I swear Penny had purposefully made me late. As soon as I turned the knob the entire classroom shifted to see who was disrupting the lecture. Oh, just little old me.

I scurried to my seat beside Grace, head down as I pulled my notebook and things from my book bag. I glanced over offering her a small smile, she smiled back but I couldn't help but notice how tired she looked.

I had pleaded with her for hours as we sat in the hospital, begging her to turn him in. But when the cops showed up and asked her if she knew her assailant she said no. And as far as I knew she hadn't left him.

She said she couldn't leave him.

I had a pit in the bottom of my stomach every time I thought about Grace. It felt like the start to every other domestic abuse story but Grace wouldn't budge. No matter what I said.

As soon as the professor ended their lecture I leaned over and asked the question I'd been dying to blurt since I sat down.

"How are you?"

"I'm okay." She answered instantly.

She wasn't okay.

"Grace." I gave her a firm look. "How are you?"

Her eyes swelled with tears just before she looked down at the table we sat at.

"I don't want to talk about it Mina."

But she needed too. And I just wanted to help.

"You can't stay with him Grace." I pushed.

"I said I don't want to talk about it." Her words were a little more fierce.

"I can go with you. So you're not alone." I offered, she balled her fingers into a fist. "He won't do anything if you're not alone."

Her hands slammed against the table, her blue eyes fierce even through her tears as she glared at me.

"I said I don't want to talk about it." She snapped, drawing the attention of most of the class.

"I just.." I couldn't stop myself.

"Stop Mina!" She yelled. We had the attention of the entire class now. "Just stop."

I watched her gather her things hastily, murmurs from the class going around, the professor making their way to us.

"I'm sorry Grace."

But she was already headed toward the door. I wasn't sure I should follow. I hadn't meant to pressure her but keeping it a secret wasn't right.

"Everything okay here?" The professor asked and I nodded, sitting back down.

I'd text her and apologize.

———————

I put my phone to my ear, using my thumb nail to chip the paint off one of my other nails as I waited for Mr. Savas to pick up. He didn't make me wait long.

"Anthony Savas." He barked into the phone.

"Mr. Savas, hi it's Mina Hewitt." I told him. "Am I interrupting?"

"Oh hi, Mina. No, no you're not." I was. "What can I do for you?"

"Well I was just calling to tell you about something I think would really help Owen."

I hadn't exactly planned how I was going to say everything but I knew I needed to have Mr. Savas' permission before I took Owen. The last thing I wanted to do was give Owen hope only for his dad not to be behind it as well.

"Oh yeah?" He sounded interested, finally focused on me rather than what I was interrupting. "What is it?"

"I was thinking he might enjoy getting back into sports. There's this place not too far, just under an hour, called Crip Adaptive Sports that I was hoping you'd be okay with if I took him."

"Interesting name." He commented.

I smiled a little, I hadn't formally met Will yet, the owner of Crip, but according to Katie he was an inspiration.

"Yeah." I breezed passed his comment. "They have a lot of different options but I didn't want to take Owen if it wasn't something that you'd be willing to let him pursue."

I didn't want to be so crass and come out and ask if he could afford to let Owen get involved. Sports were expensive, adaptive or not.

"So its just for kids in chairs?" He asked.

"It's for people with disabilities, all ages."

"Yeah, I'll have to take him sometime. Check it out." He sounded distracted again.

I had a perfect out. Mr. Savas had just accepted the information as a suggestion. But there was something pulling me to take Owen myself. I wasn't exactly sure I believed Mr. Savas would follow through. And I really thought Owen would benefit from Crip.

"I can take him." I offered.

"Oh that'd be great. I'll pay you." He said instantly.

I shook my head. "No, it's okay. I don't mind."

"No don't be silly. I know you're busy, I'll pay you." He pressed.

"It was my idea and I offered. Please, don't pay me." I was determined though.

This wasn't just sitting at his house because no one else was available. I had sought this out, planned it, asked. I wouldn't let him pay me for something I had come up with.

"I'll..." Mr.Savas began but I cut him off.

"In fact, I can't accept anymore money. But I'm more than willing to help out when you need."

I thought that I was going to hate having to spend time with Owen but pool hadn't been that bad and Mr. Savas hadn't called me since so it wasn't like it was a regular thing. I could give up a few hours here and there for free. Besides it had felt a little weird getting paid to "babysit" my classmate.

"I'll pick him up at four on Saturday." I told Mr. Savas before I hung up on him.

What had I just done?

                               ————————

I think I wrote three chapters on this story yesterday. I'm glad I'm so far ahead so I can keep giving you daily updates but I wish you guys where caught up with me 🤣.