Not At All

I didn't know much about basketball but I knew what I was watching was good. I didn't pick sides, cheering for both when they made baskets.

One of the players that always seemed to be in the mix, caught the ball, launching it into a perfect arch. It fell though the net with a satisfying swish.

I clapped from where I sat, cheering along with the handful of others watching from the bleachers. But just like so many other times, I could feel someone watching me. And I knew it was Owen. My eyes met his as he rounded the top of the track. He had this beautiful smile spread across his face and even though it was difficult I forced my face to stay neutral.

I was not in denial.

Because there wasn't anything to deny.

"How'd it go?" I asked.

"Amazing. This place is ridiculous." My heart skipped at his approval even though I told it not too.

"So you like it then?"

He laughed quietly, his brown eyes bright and shining. "Yeah, yeah I do."

I was glad, a smile tugged at my face again. What was my problem? Owen didn't make me smile. This was strictly business. And as a therapist in training it was my job to help my patients. Granted this may have been a little above and beyond but anyone who truly loves their work would go there. That was it. Nothing else.

"Did you want to stay and keep looking around?" I didn't want to rush him.

He rocked himself back and forth slightly on his wheels.  "It's alright, I think I saw most of it. I just want to swing by the office we passed on the way in, grab some information Will told me about. Are you hungry? Want to grab some food on the way back?"

I swallowed hard, I hadn't meant to but dinner with Owen sounded a lot like date material and there wasn't going to be any of that. I shifted on my feet, nerves growing inside me. I didn't know how to navigate this line, being kind to Owen like Jaelyn had asked. Why I was even listening to Jaelyn was beyond me. But I was.

"It's not a date." He said when I didn't answer. "Just two people, eating together."

I stared at him for a second, trying to figure out what exactly he was thinking, his motives. My stomach growled, pressuring me to give in to his request. I let out a breath, one dinner couldn't hurt, right?

"Okay".

"Yeah?" He sounded shocked.

"Yeah, sure. But do you mind if I pick?" I asked.

I didn't want him to suggest some greasy, fried, nasty place that I'd never be able to find something to eat at. I was very strict about my diet and I did not, for anyone, break it. I couldn't. I was terrified to become Penny.

He smiled at me, a look in his eyes that warmed me from the inside out.

I would not let myself fall for Owen Savas. Regardless of that smile.

"Not at all."

I turned on my heel before I could do anything stupid, like smile back, and headed for the office.

————————

I almost just opted out of having this as a chapter all together but that being said I think listening to Mina's inner thoughts and how she's clearly warming up to Owen but trying not to is an important. So even though it's a tiny chapter you get anyway and I'm feeling nice so you get it as a bonus. Yay for double updates!

Side note. It's storming like crazy right now.