We're Good

I was fixing my ponytail, most of my hair falling out of it when my phone went off. I plucked it off the bathroom vanity, reading the text.

Jase Savas: he might be a dick today just wanted to warn you

I'd already noticed that Owen wasn't having a great day. Whenever his pain got out of control he got this little dimple in the center of his forehead his eyebrows staying pinched together in a frown as he stared off at nothing in particular. Every time I'd saw him throughout school he had the same expression.

Me: I'm sure I can handle it

Jase Savas: My dad said he left money on the fridge for you

Me: I told him not to pay me

Jase Savas: you might reconsider last time I texted him all he did was cuss at me

Me: and that's different from every other time he interacts with you?

I wasn't sure Owen and Jase we're capable of having a conversation, they almost always ended up with one or both of them swearing at the other.

Jase Savas: 😂 good point

Jase Savas: text if you need anything.

Jase Savas: thanks again, I appreciate it

Me: no problem

And for once maybe I meant it.

————————

I would have asked him if he wanted to go do something. Go to Matt's restaurant and let me kick his butt at pool again, anything but sit on the couch. But he looked even more miserable than he did at school and I didn't think that was possible. So I weathered his attitude, ignoring when he snapped at me, understanding as he mumbled apologies shortly after.

And it was fine really. My mind was elsewhere. I'd brought the box of letters with me. I'm not really sure why. It wasn't like I was going to read them at Owen's or tell him about them. But when I went to walk out the door, they had called my name. So I slipped them into my backpack so Penny wouldn't see and I lugged them out to my car. And as usual they were consuming my thoughts as I stared at the TV that was serving as background noise more than anything.

"I'm sorry you have to be here. I can call Alec or someone." Owen's voice broke me from my thoughts.

And I was thankful for once for his inability to shut up. For his constant need to talk. I'd read and reread the handful of letters I had opened so many times when I closed my eyes I could see his handwriting. Forever imprinted on the backs of my eyelids.

I looked at him, my mind switching gears slowly as I took in his features. He still had that dimple in the center of his forehead. I wanted to reach out and run my fingers over it like maybe I could smooth it out with just the pads of my fingertips. Erase some of the tension for him. I wondered what he'd do if I did?

But I couldn't think like that though.

I couldn't let myself wonder what it'd be like to reach out and touch Owen, like we were more.

So I let my eyes drift past him to the wall of photographs. I'd only ever glanced at them, recognizing that they were there but never stopping to take the time to exam them.

"Is that your mom?"

I already knew the answer was yes before I asked. It was a picture of his dad, Jase and him and a beautiful blond woman with bright eyes and a stunning smile. The same smile that Owen had, the one that made hearts melt right where they beat.