Denial

I couldn't help it.

I couldn't look away from Owen as he soaked in his surroundings. His brown eyes wide, energy pouring out of him as he took everything in. He almost looked like Owen prior to his accident. Not that I had paid much attention to him then. But that Owen had always been full of life and energy, obnoxious and arrogant.

"What is this place?" He asked, his eyes focused on the giant sign that spelled Crip Adaptive Sports.

"You said you miss running."

"I don't get it."

A smile pulled across my face. "Come on."

I lead us through the open archway and into the arena that housed the court and track. There was a game of basketball going on, the hype of the game electric in the vast room.

"I realized after you said you missed running that you must miss all of it. The game, the training, the competition." I told him.

He looked up at me and I had to look away. There were moments, like this, when it was just Owen and I and my brain started to blur the line that I had drawn. It started to race off with my heart, thinking crazy, idiotic things. Like maybe Owen wasn't so bad.

"I wanted you to realize that even if this is all you ever get, that doesn't mean it has to limit you."

I just wanted to help him. That was my job. As a therapist. This didn't and wouldn't go any farther than that. I couldn't let it.

"This is amazing." His voice full of wonder.

I watched the basketball go flying through the air to another player, shouting echoing through the open space.

"So you like it?" I asked.

I could feel him staring at me, it made my heart pound in my chest.

"Yeah, I love it."

Those words made me feel triumphant. But even more than that, when I snuck a glance at Owen, he looked genuinely happy. And I was glad that I could give him that for the moment.

I watched as a man made his way to us, I recognized him off the website as Will Lyons, the owner and founder of Crip.

"Hey there." He said as he stopped beside us, his back to the game on the court.

I gave him a warm smile as I said "hi".

"My name is Will, I run this place. Is this your first time here?" He asked, his mouth pulled into a smile underneath his beard.

"I'm Mina." I held my hand out for him to shake.

Owen mumbling his name after me, also offering his hand.

Will looked at me, recognition flashing through his eyes. "Mina? Katie right?"

I nodded my head, smiling at the connection.

"Man I owe you big time. That woman is gonna be unstoppable." Will said.

I shook my head, denying the credit. "She found you on her own. I just recommended her finding a place."

"Well thank god you did." He smiled, looking from me to Owen. "So what brings you in?"

I shifted my gaze to Owen, waiting for him to explain. But he sat there, stunned, staring at Will like he'd forgotten how to speak.

"Owen used to play soccer and track. He had a couple scholarships for college also." I explained.

"No joke?" Will said approvingly, eyeing up Owen. "Let's take a roll Owen, I'll show you the place."