Chapter 16

Sun was extremely intelligent. She had picked up the language of Guwon in nearly 1 year of interacting with the slave traders and foreigners. She didn't respond to most of Yuna's comments. She would rather pretend to be clueless of the language than deal with Yuna.

When Sun first arrived at the Kim Estate, she was treated very nicely by both the maids and Yuna herself. Sun wasn't being treated like a normal slave. She resided in a lavish room that was similar to Yuna's room. Most of the maids silently showed their jealousy when they noticed Sun's unusual special treatment. It was almost like Sun was the general's second daughter.

No one in the household, dared to bully Sun. It would be a death sentence waiting to happen. Sun found it unusual that Yuna kept coming into her room and worrying about her condition. She expected her to be like her aunt. Nice at first, but neglectful when it came to her needs. No matter how much she tried to seem like a foreigner that didn't understand the language, Yuna never fell for it.

Yuna tried to get Sun's attention, "Hey, I know you can understand me. Stop ignoring me." Sun remained stern with her lie. She wasn't used to getting this much attention and somehow felt happy about Yuna pestering her. She didn't want to admit it though. She peeked at Yuna through her unkempt hair.

Yuna had an exasperated expression, "Fine, I'll just have to speak to you in your native language then." Yuna switched to speaking in fluent Ezra (English), "If you don't reply to me even after I speak your native language, I'm going to start thinking that you're stupid. Is that ok with you?" Sun was utterly shocked. No one in Guwon would bother to learn the language of Ezra. She used to think all Guwon citizens were idiots.

Yuna's lips formed into a grin, "You understood me, huh? Come on admit it. You know how to speak both Guwon and Ezra, right?" Sun caved after witnessing Yuna's perfect Ezraen, "How did you know that I was from the Kingdom of Ezra?" Yuna pointed at Sun's light blonde hair, "There's no other country that has people with blonde hair and blue eyes, but the Ezraen people. Don't be too shocked. I've studied the language of Ezra in less than 5 months."

Sun's expressionless face had a tinge of happiness after hearing her own native language after many years travelling to Guwon. She hid her smile and asked, "Then, how do you know Ezraen? There shouldn't be anyone in Guwon that actually knows how to speak Ezraen." Yuna sighed, "Hasn't anyone told you how the war between our countries ended?"

Sun shook her head. She had to admit, she wasn't very well informed. She'd been locked up in a cage most nights and during the day, she walked for miles with chains attached to her legs and hands. The chains scarred her wrist and ankles from having them on for years. Even though she wasn't branded like most slaves, she still had the clues from her scars.

Yuna frowned when she noticed Sun's mood spiral downwards into a puddle of sadness and depression. She wanted to lift Sun's spirits a bit, but she was a tough one. She didn't want to be pitied and she definitely wasn't in good condition to start working. Not that Yuna was planning on having her work.

Yuna preferred Sun as a sister than a servant. She had grown used to doing things on her own because of her modern life experiences. It

would be too much for her family to accept her as a daughter though because of her appearance. Majority of the Guwon citizens despised Ezraen people and it was inevitable. She knew that Sun would experience cruelty everywhere she went. It wouldn't be easy for anyone to accept Sun as her actual sister. There was only one option for Yuna. She chose to ignore everyone else and their racist opinions.

She wasn't going to cater to their needs just because they chose to. If she herself knew that Sun was her sister, that was enough. Many people can claim that she is nothing but a foreign war slave, but Yuna would never think that way. She wanted Sun to be happy in this life. She owed it to her. There was no one that protected her the way she had in the previous lifetime.

This time, it was Yuna's job to save Sun. She won't let anyone bully Sun, even if she has to trample on her own reputation. Who gives a cr*p about outdated customs and ideas? She'd rather live her life confidently believing what was right, regardless of what other people believed. Yuna wasn't going to let the belief of scumbags and idiots affect her in any way.

Yuna began to slowly explain to Sun about what happened after the war, "There is hardly any people in Guwon that know how to speak Ezraen. You are correct about that, but you didn't account for the people in Ezra that have studied Guwon. Aren't there translators that work in your kingdom?" Sun nodded, "Yes, there are translators. I didn't expect that an Ezraen would dare to step foot into Guwon land except war slaves."

Yuna agreed, "Yes, you're right, but Ezra chose to surrender and offer a peace treaty to Guwon. They did not step one foot into Guwon land, but they did send a multitude of things to the kingdom of Guwon. The Emperor received countless treasures from Ezra and some of those treasures are books."

Yuna began her long and detailed explanation about the value of books, "You might think that books are invaluable, but in honestly they truly are. Books contain secrets about the world and history that have influenced the majority of customs and traditions that we have today. Without books, knowledge would be at a standstill."

Sun was slowly growing interested in the topics that Yuna spoke of. She wasn't given much of a chance to read books, because she wasn't given privileges that most people had. No matter how much Sun wanted to ignore Yuna, it was growing hard to do so. Yuna had an outstanding way of thinking that was different from everyone she had met.

Yuna continued, "I can't imagine a life without books. Without people keeping records of history and life on earth, we would revert to being cave men that roam the earth." Sun felt lost with some of Yuna's ramblings. What did she mean cave men? Were there actually men that lived in caves? She was clueless. Sun was curious as to know how Yuna had ideas that were outside of the box.

Yuna rambled on, "You wouldn't want that, right? Anyways, I seem to have gone off topic. Going back to how I learned Ezraen. Among all the treasures that Guwon received, there seemed to be a dictionary that was created by one of the Ezraen people. The dictionary was nearly burned to ashes if it weren't for my father. He is the general that has led our country to victory. Do you hate him for that?"

To be honest, Sun wasn't very patriotic, and she didn't feel so strongly about her birthplace. She had no good experiences in her lifetime and her country chose to desert her anyway. She had no reason to stick up for her country when they chased her away. She shook her head, "I don't hate your father. He was kind enough to buy me, although I am useless."

Yuna declared, "I refuse to believe that you are useless. You are going to become my one and only sister. Don't you dare say that to anybody." Sun was surprised by Yuna's sudden outburst, "Sister? I must have heard that wrong. I'm not your sister." Yuna argued, "Yes, you are. If I say you are my sister. You will be my sister. It doesn't matter if we have an ounce of blood that is similar. I declare that you are my sister."

Sun was extremely confused by Yuna's sudden declaration. Why was she trying so hard to appease her? She didn't deserve to be treated as a sister. She had nothing to give Yuna. Why would anyone want her to be a sister? Sun questioned, "Why do you want me as your sister? I've only just met you. How can I trust that you won't betray me in the future? I don't have anything to give to you. What do you want from me?"

Yuna noticed the atmosphere turning somewhat colder. She was a bit disappointed with how things were going. She expected Sun to be willing to accept her as a sister, but it wasn't an easy task. Yuna felt bad for pestering her when all she wanted was to be left alone.

She sighed, "I'm sorry for forcing you to be sisters with me, when it's all too one sided. I just don't have any friends and I liked how you didn't seem like all the other people I've met. Most of them tend to be deceiving and most of them have an agenda. I just thought that you were different from everyone else. Is it okay if we start off as friends?"

Sun was once again stunned by Yuna's unusual personality. She was persistent in trying to gain her acceptance. Sun couldn't understand how her opinion mattered so much to Yuna. Yuna could easily tell that Sun was being stubborn because of her constant self-deprecation. It wasn't going to be an easy task in getting Sun to trust her.