Chapter One

Lunch with her friends was always the hardest part of the day. Her friends cared too much and always offered her whatever food they had- apples, cafeteria lunches, even sweets. However, Rarity knew she needed to resist the temptation. Her slim, steady figure was important to getting the career she desired: a fashion designer and model. She was terribly afraid of getting overweight and strived to make sure that never happened to her. The tiniest amount of food was enough to concern her, so Rarity decided it was easier to resist food altogether.

   Rarity gave her friends a warm smile as she joined them at their usual lunch table. "Hello, girls! How are you doing on this fine day?"

   "Great!" Twilight replied. She grinned largely and seemed to grow excited. "Guess what? I got an A+ on my math test!"

   "Twilight, that's not anything new," Rainbow Dash said.

   Twilight shot Rainbow Dash a playful glare as Rainbow Dash smirked in return.

   "Work on the farm has been the same as ever," Applejack spoke. "We're harvesting as much as we can before winter rolls around."

   "Yay!" Pinkie Pie cheered. "Does that mean we're having apple pie soon?"

   "We can," Applejack told her. "We can have it by the fire during winter with hot chocolate."

   "Ooh, sounds good to me!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed with a smile.

   "Well I, for one, would love to come and sit by the fire---" Rarity began.

   She was promptly cut off by Applejack. "Rarity, do you not have a lunch again?"

   Rarity frowned. "I told you I'm not hungry around lunchtime."

   "You refused to go out to dinner with us last weekend too," Twilight observed. "You promise you're eating regularly?"

   "I promise," Rarity said quickly. "Let's change the subject---"

   "Can you look us in the eye and swear that you are eating?" Applejack asked.

   Rarity swallowed. She knew that Applejack valued honesty in friendship and if she promised Applejack that she was eating, she'd be lying to her. However, she couldn't just tell her friends that she wasn't eating. They'd try to force her to eat right then and there. "I promise," Rarity said, her voice breaking.

   "Hmm." Applejack didn't sound convinced, but she dropped the subject anyway. "Alright."

   A silence passed between the table as Rarity's friends exchanged worried glances.

   "Well.... we have plans to see a movie this Saturday," Sunset Shimmer said. "Would you like to go?"

   "I'd love to!" Rarity replied. "What movie?"

   Rarity's friends felt minimal relief from the change in Rarity's mood.

                                                                                          ***

   The bell rang, dismissing school for the day. Rarity pushed past the stampede of people in the hallways to get to her locker. Once she entered her locker combination, she swung her bag over her shoulder. It was at this moment that she heard the low, sweet southern twang of her best friend, Applejack.

   "Leaving so soon?" Applejack asked her.

   "I don't recall us having a place to meet," Rarity replied, smiling at the sight of her friend.

   Applejack chuckled. "There isn't one. Though, Rainbow Dash has a big game tonight. Wanna come and support her?"

   "I would like nothing more," Rarity declared. "What time?" 

   "8 o' clock tonight," Applejack told her. "Rainbow said it's the last of the outdoor season. Then they're having the tryouts for the indoor soccer team this October."

   "Lovely, that fits into my schedule quite nicely," Rarity said, clapping her hands together. "Have you seen Sweetie Belle? I can't leave school without her. I have to drive us both."

   At that moment, as if life itself was answering to Rarity, her sister and her friends came running down the hall giggling and enjoying themselves. As soon as the three girls ran into Rarity, they stopped short.

   "Sorry, Rarity!" Apple Bloom apologized. "We should've been watching where we were going." She turned to her sister. "Hi, AJ."

   "Hi there, little sis," Applejack said, wrapping her arm around Apple Bloom's shoulders. "We have to be heading out here pretty soon too."

   "Aww," Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle moaned.

   "Well we have to be home soon too, Sweetie Belle," Rarity insisted. "Mom expects us to be on time tonight. She said she cooked dinner early and it'd get cold if we kept her waiting."

   "I understand," Sweetie Belle replied. "Let's go. Bye, Apple Bloom! Bye, Scootaloo!"

   "Bye!" Apple Bloom and Scootaloo exclaimed.

   As Rarity and Sweetie Belle began to make their way out to the parking lot, Applejack put a hand on Rarity's shoulder to talk to her. "Make sure you eat something tonight, okay?"

   Rarity just nodded. She didn't know how to reply. Applejack was concerned for her, but the voices in her head were screaming in fear.

(A/N: Hey, guys! I hope you're liking the story so far. I wanted to write a story based off of an IRL experience I had with a close friend. If you find any of these signs familiar in one of your friends or even yourself, get help ASAP! Anorexia is not something to take lightly.)