Chapter Nineteen

Once more, Rarity was at a therapy appointment, speaking with Tender Soul about her week; however, this time, Rarity's eyes twinkled with excitement as she spoke. "I was able to resist the voices telling me not to eat! Afterwards, I had a cupcake to treat myself. And guess what?"

    Tender Soul giggled. "What?" she said.

   "I didn't feel guilty afterwards!" Rarity exclaimed. "I feel great. Oh, thank you so much, Tender Soul. I don't know if I could've done it without you."

    "It wasn't me," Tender Soul told her. "It was you. You're the one who made an astounding recovery! It's your actions that led to where you are. I'm just here for guidance." 

   Rarity looked at her, gratefully. "You have no idea how much that means to me, Tender Soul. Thank you."

   "Just doing my best," Tender Soul replied, modestly. She jotted down some notes on her notepad. When she finished, she looked back up and smirked at Rarity. "Guess what?"

    "What is it?"

   "You finally passed your second 'E'!" Tender Soul declared. 

    Rarity's eyes widened in surprise. "As in... exchange the unhelpful coping skills for...?" She trailed off, her mouth hanging agape. After many visits, she had finally accomplished the task she never thought she would. 

    "For helpful coping skills. Rarity, yes! You did it! But... that isn't all!"

    "It isn't?!" Rarity blurted. 

     "Do you remember what the second 'R' means?" Tender Soul inquired, an eager gleam in her eye. 

    "Wasn't it 'relish in your accomplishments'?" 

   Tender Soul nodded. "And do you know what you did when you ate that cupcake and didn't feel guilty about it?" 

    "Did I...?"

    "You did!" Tender Soul cried. "You passed the second 'R' too!"

    "I don't believe it," Rarity uttered. 

    "This means we can move onto the last part of your recovery plan," Tender Soul announced. "That's the 'Y'. Remember what that means?"

   Rarity smiled with newfound confidence. She knew the recovery plan by heart. "'Yearn for today in place of yesterday'."

    "Correct," Tender Soul said. She gazed over her notes. "Do you think you have a plan for accomplishing that this following week?" 

    How can I look towards my future instead of reflecting on my past?, Rarity thought. After a moment of silence, her features brightened, indicating that an idea had entered her mind. "Well... I haven't been bringing a lunch to school ever since my anorexia started to develop. Guess who's going to pack a healthy lunch for school tomorrow? This girl right here!" 

    "That's a wonderful idea!" Tender Soul said. "Let me write it down." 

    After Tender Soul wrote Rarity's idea on a slip of paper, she tore it from her notebook and gave it to Rarity. "Another tactic I'd like you to try next week is write down every positive thought you have that could help encourage you to get into healthier eating habits. Any negative thoughts you have, write them down on another piece of paper, rip it apart, and throw them away." 

   "I will," Rarity promised. 

    "Now our time is up and I have to see my next client," Tender Soul said. "I'm looking forward to seeing your progress next time we meet!"