Chapter Four

(A/N: This rap by Boyinaband and Jaiden Animations really helps to explain anorexia further. Give it a go before or after you read this!) 

   '121.06'. I'm making progress, Rarity thought. But it's still not enough.

   Rarity realized that she felt sick to her stomach once more. She knew that she might throw up soon, so she went over to sit down by the toilet. Putting her face in her knees, Rarity felt warm tears begin to pour down her face. She didn't know why she wasn't where she wanted to be.

   Soon enough, she started to feel the familiar nausea and began to retch. Leaning over the toilet, she continued to cry in between the process. Since she hadn't eaten anything, the only thing her body could regurgitate after the exercise routine was acids. There was nothing inside of her for her body to dispose of.

   She slowly got to her knees and instantly, she felt a wave of dizziness. The world spun around her and her vision blurred. Grabbing the counter and holding the side of her head, Rarity managed to retain her balance and waited for the dizziness to surpass.

   After the dizziness began to subside and her vision started to return, she heard a chime from her cell phone. Rarity bent down to pick up her cell phone and looked at her notifications. She was delighted to see that Applejack had texted her. She opened their messages:

   howdy rarity, what are u up to this weekend?

   Smiling, Rarity replied:

   I don't have any plans :)

   Moments later, the next text came through:

   oh good to hear cause the girls and i were wonderin if u wanted to come hang out with us on saturday, we're going to see a musical, it was pinkie's idea, i didn't know she liked musicals

   Rarity was partial to musicals. She wouldn't particularly call herself a Broadway fan, but she enjoyed going to see a good show every once in awhile. Especially with friends. Rarity replied:

   That sounds wonderful! What time should i meet you?

   The next text said:

   Aw don't worry about it, im picking everyone up around 630, be ready around 625 or earlier

   Rarity replied to Applejack:

   Alright that sounds lovely! See you then <3

   The next text didn't come through for awhile. Rarity didn't worry about it too much. After all, Applejack lived on an orchard and was a hard worker. She often got busy. When the next text finally came through, it said:

   See u there

   Rarity turned off her phone and set it aside. She went to her bedroom and opened the closet. After all, she'd need something to wear on Saturday.

                                                                                             ***

   Saturday rolled around before Rarity knew it. She had to be ready to be picked up by Applejack in just an hour. She got dressed in the outfit she had picked for the show. It was the same outfit she had worn to the light parade at Equestria Land- a blue tank top with a ruffled ridge, decorated with purple and white diamonds, her purple miniskirt, and her purple heels encrusted with blue diamonds.

   After doing her makeup, she sighed and decided to step onto the scale to weigh herself before she went. '120.06'. Really?, Rarity thought with sadness. I only lost one pound this week? I need to work harder.

   As her thoughts began to spiral into darkness, she was jarred out of this state of mind by the chime of her phone. Rarity opened her messages and read the text from Applejack:

   Waitin outside

   Rarity took a deep breath and started out the door.

   Once again, she saw the large, red pick-up truck waiting on the driveway. Hopping into the car, she was surprised to see that Applejack had also picked the same outfit she wore to the light parade- a white tee-shirt with green sleeves that had a red delicious apple imprinted on the front, her mid-cut jean skirt, and cowgirl boots with more apples imprinted on the sides.

   "Aww, I love the way that outfit looks on you, Applejack," Rarity said as she sat down and buckled her seatbelt.

   "Aw, shucks, Rarity," Applejack replied with a blush. "Ah love the way that outfit you're wearing looks on you too. That's what ya wore to the light parade, ain't it?"

   "Indeed," Rarity said. "It's the best thing in my closet. I decided to wear it, so I could look my best for the show tonight."

   Rainbow Dash chuckled. "Does that really matter? We'll be sitting down in a dark theater where nobody is paying attention to what you're wearing anyway."

   The rest of Rarity's friends started to giggle.

   "Well... what about walking through the entrance hall, Rainbow Dash?" Rarity quickly shot back. "People will be looking at us while we're there."

   Rainbow Dash shrugged. "Fair enough."

   Applejack looked back at Rarity and then focused her eyes on the road as she began to drive. "Well... we were thinking of going to get something to eat first. Does that sound good to everyone?"

   Everybody made sounds of agreement, except for Rarity who just stared at the floor of the car in silence. She began to feel as if her friends had tricked her into going out to eat with them. "I... I ate before I came. I'm not hungry."

   Rarity's friends looked at her. It was clear they were unconvinced by her nervous tone.

   "Well the rest of us are hungry," Rainbow Dash said. "You don't have to get anything if you don't want to."

   "But---" Pinkie Pie began to protest.

   Applejack looked back at Pinkie Pie and shook her head. She knew it was best not to force Rarity out of her struggles. That was never the best way to help a friend.

   Pinkie Pie sighed. "Okay. I'm hungry too, but if you want anything Rarity, I'm willing to share some of my food with you."

   Rarity smiled. "Thanks, Pinkie Pie. That means a lot."

   Pinkie Pie smiled at her. "You're welcome!"

   "So which restaurant should we go to?" Sunset Shimmer asked.

   Applejack smiled. "Well ah was thinkin' we should go to the Teriyaki House. It's a five-star Japanese grill. Ah hear that their food is some of the best there is."

   The rest of the girls agreed.

   "Does that sound good to you, Rarity?" Applejack asked her.

   "Yes, darling," Rarity replied. "Indeed it does."

   Rarity sighed. There was no use trying to fight it. Her friends knew that it was her favorite restaurant.