Chapter Fourteen

Rarity could merely pick at her meal. Once more, she was sitting with Magnum, Pearl, and her sister, Sweetie Belle, at the dinner table. All of her thoughts raced through her mind so quickly that Rarity could barely even keep track of them. Finally, Rarity resorted to her usual method of cutting up the pieces of her food and moving them around, so it looked as if she was eating. However, the downside to this was that her family knew of this trick now.

   "Rarity, dear, please eat," Pearl said. "We're saying that because we care about you."

   Rarity frowned. "I know, Mother. But... I don't know if I can."

   Magnum and Pearl exchanged a glance of hopelessness and Sweetie Belle glanced down at her own food, sadly. It was almost as if Sweetie Belle suddenly felt guilty for eating in front of Rarity.

   Dinner pressed forward and the voices continued. 'Don't eat! The Fall Formal is tonight!', they cried. 'You need to look good for Applejack. She won't want to date someone who can't fit into a dress.'

   Rarity had wanted to lose even more weight in time for the Fall Formal, but she wasn't satisfied with her results. If she ate tonight, she knew she'd feel guilty about it and her date with Applejack would be ruined- or so she told herself.

   Finally, after the family finished dinner, Rarity excused herself and dumped her dinner into the trash can. She hoped to feel guilty about not eating this time around, but she felt the familiar rush of relief as she dumped the food into the trash can. Rarity sighed hopelessly. It seemed that she was getting worse instead of better.

                                                                                                ***

   Pearl had offered to drop Rarity off at the Fall Formal, so Rarity was sitting in the passenger seat of her mother's car in her bright, shiny blue dress. Rarity rested her head against the window. Once again, she hadn't eaten in awhile and she was feeling dizzy and nauseous.

  "Are you okay, Rarity?" Pearl asked. "I think Applejack will understand if you give her a call and tell her you can't make it-"

   "No, no, I'm fine!" Rarity exclaimed immediately. "I want to be there, Mom. Just... I'm alright. Don't worry."

   Pearl looked unconvinced as she continued the drive. "Alright..."

   Finally, Pearl and Rarity approached the front of Canterlot High School. Rarity could see other couples walking inside through the front doors and she started to become nervous.

   "Well, have a fun time with your friends tonight," Pearl told her. "Take pictures!"

   "I will," Rarity promised with a giggle. She climbed out of the car and waved to her mother as she drove away.

    Rarity turned to face the front of the school and a smile crept across her face when she saw her friends waving to her. She walked over to them. She was delighted to see that they were wearing the dresses she made for them before the dance.

   Sunset Shimmer was standing beside Flash Sentry. Twilight and Pinkie Pie's arms were linked together, but Pinkie Pie could barely hold back her excitement and accidentally moved Twilight back and forth slightly. Fluttershy stood nervously beside Rainbow Dash, too afraid to show her affection since she knew Rainbow Dash was reluctant to participate in intimacy. Applejack smiled and blushed as she saw Rarity approaching them. When Rarity reached them, she linked arms with Applejack, so they could walk in together.

    "Hey, Rarity!" Pinkie Pie squealed in excitement. "Are you ready for a night of fun?!"

   Rarity nodded and giggled. "Most definitely."