Chapter Forty-eight:

Benjamin's POV:

"You better be actually on something Benjamin, don't waste my time," officer Dickins said as he entered the room.

"I'm not wasting your time! This is important!" I defended.

"then what took you so long?" he rolled his eyes.

"I found this inside the girl's voicemail. She had over 100 unheard messages there, this why it took so long" I said.

"fine, whatever, just play it already" Dickins sighed.

Why does he have to be so rude though? I hate working with this guy.

I sat down back in my station and pressed the play button.

A young voice immediately began to scream;

"OLIVIA I'M BEING KIDNAPPED BY JACK THIS IS NOT A JOKE-"

A loud banging sound cut off the yelling,

"Ah! Fuck!" the young guy yelled again,

This time it sounded a little distance as if he dropped his phone.

"did you think I was joking? Fucking idiot, now stay still!" another voice, slightly older and deeper, yelled back at the first guy.

The conversation stopped for a couple of seconds.

"I'm bleeding," the young guy said.

"good" the other guy simply replied.

Wow, what a douche.

They sat in silence for a couple more seconds, till the young guy started talking again;

"Just let me go... please... leave me on the highway, I'm gonna find my way back-"

A loud laugh cut him off.

"are you crazy? Zach, I already planned it all, I was just waiting for the moment your mother will finally get you back to the bakery" the older guy said.

The conversation went dead again.

I fast forward that part, so Dickins won't get bored.

"come on, let's go," the older voice said as he opened his car door.

"that's when they arrived at his house, where I assume Zach is being held," I told Dickins.

"first of all, Benjamin, you're not assuming shit. This is my job to assume shit. Second, just keep playing the damn message" he raged.

Ugh, I hate this guy.

"We can do it the easy way, or the hard way, the choice is yours," the older guy said.

Another silent.

"the hard way is me knocking you out and dragging you upstairs, by the way" he kept saying.

Another sound of a car door being opened and then closed.

"that's it, the phone stops recording ten minutes later. It usually does that, after half an hour" I said.

"fine. Thanks, Benjamin, I'll take care of it from here" Dickins said and left the room.

I grinned as I laid back in my chair.

I did it.

I'm not useless as he says I am.