15

Aria

We sat quietly in the truck as Chief Mathews drove, not knowing really where he was taking us. I would glance over towards Xander from time to time and he seemed just as confused as I was. Mathews didn't even tell us where he was taking us and neither did he have his usual country music on blast. He just seemed completely lost in thought the entire ride.

A little while later he stopped the car in front of his house.

"Get out, we don't have all day" He mumbled going inside.

"He's acting super weird" I told Xander as we walked to the front door. Mathews had long gone inside.

"We just need to play our cards right" Xander said "I think I can make this happen follow my suit"

As we entered the home we were greeted with the smell of freshly baked cookies and the noise of two ten year old girls having a scream fest.

"GIRLS, SHUT IT WE HAVE GUESTS!" Yelled Mrs. Mathews as she came up to greet us "Hello sweethearts, how are you two doing today?"

"Great Mrs. Mathews" I said as she took me into a hug.

"And you boy treating her right?" she lightly tapped Xander's cheek as in a mock slap.

"Yes Ma'am, on my best behavior" Xander said with the biggest smile.

"That's good to hear" Mrs. Mathews was a really sweet woman with a southern charm that could win anyone over.

"Sit in the kitchen and help yourself to some cookies while I sort this mess out" she said motioning us to kitchen while going to the living room to the scream fest the twins were still having.

"SHE ALWAYS WEARS WHAT I LIKE!" One of the twins yelled "THIS TIME I'M WEARING THE BLUE DRESS TO THE BAKE SALE SHE CAN WEAR SOMETHING ELSE"

"NO I WANT TO WEAR THE BLUE DRESS SHE CAN GET SOMETHING ELSE!!" The other yelled back

"I don't care who wears what!" We heard Mathews shout "If you two insist on fighting, I'm sending you to school in potato sacks tomorrow"

"You're father is right?" Mrs. Mathews being the voice of reason as always said "we'll solve this issue later on. Xander and Aria are here why don't you say hi to them in the kitchen"

Soon the whole family minus Trevor came to the kitchen together with Mathews slumping into a seat immediately followed by two stomping twins and a graceful Mrs. Mathews.

"Hi Xander and Aria" The twins said in unison robotically still angry from their fight.

"Hi, Maxine. Hi, Mia" I said to both of them while Xander chose a simple "Hey"

"You tried any cookies?" Mrs. Mathews asked. There were a bunch of cookies laid out on trays on the counter but we were too busy listening to the fight to remember to take some.

"Oh silly me" Mrs. Mathews said "you can't have cookies without a glass of milk and I'll put all five of the flavors I baked on a plate for each of you so you can try all of them"

"It's okay, we can get some for ourselves" I said getting up

"Oh no hush!" She said waving her hand "I need someone to taste them anyway. Tomorrow the twins are having a bake sale so I need them to be perfect" she happily plated the cookies and poured milk into two glasses for us "don't worry if you're allergic to anything. The cookies are nut and gluten free"

"And taste free" Mathews muttered helping himself to some cookies on the far side of the counter.

"Thank you dear" Mrs. Mathews snatched the cookies from his hands and placed them on the plates for us "these have all the good stuff, chocolate, peanuts and caramel in case you're not allergic"