CHAPTER 3: ABOUT MOVING WALLS (rev)

Music Background: The First Steps by Hiroshi Yamazaki

"Hey are you alright?"

A workmate of Miguel at the interior design company, Haus, looked at him with a worried face.

"I'm fine, Glinda. Thank you."

He told her with a forced smile. He had been having dizzy spells since morning and all his muscles were stiff and in constant pain. It didn't help that the temperature was getting colder day by day.

He had been working nonstop with no rest day for the past three months.

In the morning he would work at the primary school. In the afternoon until evening he would work part time at the interior design company. During weekends he would work a full day at the spa.

There was no time to feel tired. He could not afford to be tired.

He needed the money. His father's second treatment was scheduled next week.

"Well then I am leaving now. Make sure to rest too. You look like you need it hun."

She said as she tapped Miguel on the shoulder.

"Yeah thanks."

He smiled. The dimples in his cheeks were no longer hidden. His face had lost some of its fullness.

Miguel looked at the time and it was already 5 pm. Sighing he tried to roll his shoulders, a futile attempt to dislodge the muscle pains that he had been enduring for the past month.

He stared at the computer and started to type. Eventually he got immersed with his work and did not notice the time pass by. Only when another co-worker called his attention did he stop his work.

It was already 8 pm. Time to sign out.

He sneezed a couple of times while he was going down the building.

He felt dizzy in the elevator. During the ride down he leaned against the wall to keep himself from falling.

Another sneeze made Miguel look down as he walked. He didn't even realize that he was about to smash into a wall until he was already falling down. He tried to balance himself but his body refused to move. Before he lost consciousness, he seemed to have seen the wall fall onto him.

The light was blinding and he was floating.

The rescuers must have been able to find his body under the rumbles of the fallen wall.

He trembled hard. It was...cold. He felt it seeping into his bones.

Perhaps he was dead. They recovered a dead body under the wall.

His muscles were tense and rigid. A breeze swept past his skin.

He shivered again.

It was so cold, so dark.

They must have placed him in the morgue for it to be this cold.

As Miguel was plagued with a delirium about moving walls and death, his teeth chattered and his body shook violently. He was hit by another episode of chills.

But even in his delirious state, he could feel the warmth that touched his forehead and the comfort that he felt with it.

He vaguely heard shuffling sounds. Then he felt something large and warm envelope him. It seemed he was under a wall again. But the wall felt warmer against his skin this time. He snuggled into the wall trying to get as much heat as he could.